What do you think of the boy name Leviethan?

My fiance and I are butting heads over this issue. He had first heard the name in his teens and loved it immediately. I have numerous valid reasons for leaning away from it, even putting aside from its very negative Christian meaning; the difficult pronounciation and spelling alone are red flags. We have discussed this issue over and over and he just won't give an inch for other names. Even when he relents, he'll bring it up again a few days later and take it back.

What do you think about the name and our situation? I could really use some unbias perspectives.

[For the curious, our other name choices are Seth, Connor, and Tristan.]

Eau_Rouge

Asked by Eau_Rouge at 9:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• to me, it's not really a person's name... IMO anyways...
    I think of a ship when I hear it.. I saw a movie once with a ship named The Leviathan. it's also basically a dragon type monster from the bible.

but yeah... because of the ship thing, I'm against it. I don't really like naming people after objects...
    Anonymous

• I don't like it. I do like Tristan though.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It means whale. idk about it though. I liked Malachai, so :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with the anon above. It reminds me of the ship, it doesn't sound like a name to me at all.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• OMG do not name your child that! Think about the future when he/she is trying to get an interview with a big company. No one would take that name seriously. A name has ALOT to do with your child's future and success in life. My mom named me something weird with a messed up spelling and after many many many problems I had with the pronunciation with future clients, I had to get my name legally changed. DON"T NAME CHILDREN WEIRD NAMES!!!!
    Anonymous

• Sorry I don't care for it either.
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Why not break it up into a first and middle name? Levi Ethan, instead of Leviethan. Levi Ethan is a very nice name, easy to spell and pronounce, not "weird" and it would be a fine compromise for you and DH (if you are not opposed to it, that is).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I love Seth...and I like the idea above Levi Ethan. Good idea mom2aspclboy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:51 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• When I saw the name I thought the same thing...the spelling makes it look likes Levi Ethan.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• From someone who has never seen whatever movie the above posts are talking about and someone who didn't know that it was a "monsters" name....i think its intresting without being to weird. To me, weird is naming a kid Moon Unit or Pilot Inspekotor. I think that nowadays (and even more so in the future when our kids will be interviewing for jobs) unusual names are more common. So people don't think too hard when your name is different. In fact, people remember you more. My name growing up was not well known, and now its very common for kids. And why not compromise with hubby and name the kid that and use a shorter version for everyday use?
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009