Do you think Wal-Mart is a good place to work for?

I hear different comments about working here. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well no matter what Walmart does offer fantastic benefits! I worked there for a while. The best thing about them, is that your starting pay is based on a point system. If you have worked at a prior job for more than a couple of years, they give you points, which is a jump in your starting pay.. same with experience, the more experience, the more points you get. Understand it is retail.. which sometimes sucks. But I found a lot of flexibility and opportunities there.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Everyone that I know that's worked there hated it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• considering the new class action law suit against them... I wouldn't LOL my hubby used to work there and got a notice in the mail that there is a class action law suit due to Walmart violating credit reporting laws...
    Anonymous

• Everyone I knew loved it, they get started at higher than minimum wage. You just have to have the heart to work hard and follow directions, and you'll get promoted. Slack and you'll get shit shifts and tiny raises.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It can be. Wal-Mart offers a lot of bonuses that other employers dont. For instance bonuses based off of profit every three months that for my husband average about $200+ you get the most breaks including an hour lunch break. There is kind of a funky dynamic with walmart though. Its a lot liek high school. Below management there tends to be a lack of professionalism and everybody is in everybodys business and this is partly due to walmarts loose HR policies. But they do start pay at least 50 cents above minmum wage and if you can serve your time and put up with your average run of the mill garbage the rewards are pretty sweet.cont
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• That said, you'll want to mind you p's and q's. Walmart has been known for screwing over associates when they have been injured at work and I have seen many many many associates fired for a bogus reason and told they could reapply in 30 days. Why do they do this? So they arent paying health benefits anymore for at least 7 months. It's a nice place to get started and most definitely build up some cash but not a great career choice. Most people who quit wal-mart dance a little jig while singing "I hate you I hate you I hate you I quit!"
    humaniterian87

• Right now, in this economy, a job is a job. If you start working there and decide that you don't like it, look for another job while you are there....at least it's a paycheck. My dad worked there and it was ok for him.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• A lot of employees have tried to screw them before, because they are a giant. No wonder the policies!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I've heard different things from different people. My husband worked there PT for a second job a few years ago and he didn't have too many complaints. My best friend also worked there for a while. A friend's husband works for the corporate office and she calls it "the most evil company in the world," so it just depends I guess
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I Worked There When I Was Younger, It Was Okay But I Was Fired For Some Bogus Reason And So Did My Mom (She Worked There Too).

A Job Is A Job Though
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 3:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2009