Freakin smoking!

I've been addicted to them for 6 years now and I want to quit. I really do but it is SO hard! I've gotten to where I smoke a pack a day now and I live with smokers which makes it much worse. We live with my parents and my mom smokes. Both of DH's parents smoke so we can't stay with them and we have our own place but the economy has made it to where we can't move in it. It still needs septic lines, power and water. Also flooring in the living room. It would be easier to quit if I wasn't around it but that's not possible. Anyone tried Chantix and do you have to pay for it? I imagine it's a lot if so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I quit cold turkey 6 weeks ago. I still go out with the girls on breaks while they smoke and don't even crave it. I guess it was just time for to quit. I hate the smell now on my clothes and in my hair. I have not tried anything and cannot recommend but I do wish you all the luck!!
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My insurance didn't cover Chantix-My first RX set me back $140.00. It didn't work for me-I had terrible nightmares and awkward dreams. It was literally a nightmare. However, I do know people who quit off of it and really liked it. So it just depends on the person.

I liked the patch:)
    Anonymous

• I used to smoke, DH still does. When I quit, I was living with 3 smokers (DH and 2 of his friends) I was at work one day, was smoking a cigarette and decided that was my last cigarette, and never smoked again! That was 3 years ago.
    Good luck quitting!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Wow, both your stories are inspiring. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• I quit cold turkey. DH and I quit a year and a half ago when we got off of the plane from our honey moon. I told him as soon as we got back we'd quit. We knew for months that it was coming. We set a date and stuck to it. I'm so glad we did!! One thing that someone told me that really helped mentally was this "Don't tell yourself 'I can never smoke again' just tell your self 'I'm not going to smoke right now.'" Eventually you won't crave it, but the more you obsess the more you want one. I can have on occasionally now, but I never go back completely.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I quit many times in the past, but the last time it was my son that said "Mommy, I thought your "last" pack was your last pack". That brought it home for me. I've been off cigarettes for 2 years now.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I used it....without insurance it cost $115 for just a mths worth!!!I was done by wk 2.You can smoke the 1st wk but you slowly cut back that wk and then stop the 2nd wk....worked great for me! Good luck....it's really weird right now.I don't crave smoking anymore at all but I dream about it.I'm always smoking in my dreams and when I wake up from those dreams I'm refreshed and relaxed!LOL Guess it's the addiction still in me!!
    ArmyWife041408

Answer by ArmyWife041408 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I started smoking when I was 13. 2 years ago at 26 I decided one day I was going to quit and I did. I did smoke when I drank sometimes, but now that I've had my son I haven't had a cigarette in over a year and I definitely don't miss it. You feel so much better afterwards.
    Anonymous

• My best friend has been a chain smoker for twenty seven years due to health problems imagine that she had to quit. NOTHING worked and she went to a hypnotist for $50 her and her husband both stopped, she said they have you smoke one before your are put under and then when snapped out of it and they were asked to try to smoke one they were both so sick from just the smell they haven't smoked in 3 years. Cant stand to even set in smoking sections.
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 10:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• when i was prego with my daughter i quit cold turkey.....i smoked menthol so i chewed alot of winter green gum...and used little dumb dumb sucker for that hand to mouth fixation....my XH still smoked so if i really needed a fix...(sounds dumb i know) but if we were say in the car and he was smoking around me..i would breath in real deep the second hand smoke....i quit for over a year...but then one night after i had stoped nursing my then almost seven month old DD my XH and i got in to a fight bad and i had to have a smoke to calm down i havent been able to give it up again since.....my parents are currently trying that stop smoking pill...they started in novemver and are still taking it and still smoking and it is now january..so i duno...
    Anonymous