How do you trick a one year old?

My one year old has been underweight since she was 6 months old. When we first started on solids she ate a diverse, balanced menu. Now she will only eat: bananas and yogurt, cream cheese and jelly on wheat, waffles with syrup, and possibly a sweet potato here and there. I'm concered that she's not getting enough nutrients. How can I trick her into eating more veggies, fruits and proteins?

LiliMama18

Asked by LiliMama18 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I mix stuff in with his potatoes, does she like pancakes? You could mix fruit in with them.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 10:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• well what she is eating isn't unhealthy exactly.. but I understand wanting her to eat more fruits and veggies. Try making fruit drinks for her.. by grinding up the fruit in a blender..
    as for veggies, that's always the hard one. my daughter is a year old and HATES carrots, unless they are in a soup or broth. then she will eat them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I put my veggies in a blender or Mini chopper & mix them with pastina or with mashed potatoes I do this with broccoli & spinach I steam them (don't boil takes the nutrion right out) then in the mini chopper
    Anonymous

• There are many ways to add veggies an fruit to her food. I add finely shredded carrot to my waffle mix before I put it in the waffle iron, add applesauce or mashed nanners to the pancake mix. My kids love fresh juice from the juicer, even me who hates raw carrots will drink fresh carrot juice, yummy. Protien is trickier. My 1st child doesn't like meat very much, she hates the texture. So I make her vegetarian nuggets and she and all the kids love them. You simple get a can of chickpeas, some seasonings, some finely shredded carrot, and blend it all together in a food processer, I add a little bread crumbs to make it nice and thick and them form them into nuggets or even cut them with cookie cutters and bake them or fry them. Beans have so much protien and my 1 year old will eat any kind of bean thats boiled so it's very soft. Just keep trying as many different things as you can think of.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 10:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• There are a ton of things that you can do. You can use the yogurt or cream cheese as a dip. Then give her some veggies (even cooked ones) or fruits to dip in them or you can dip them. My son loves "bip" and eats anything with it. You can also add a ton of different fruits to yogurt. Since she likes cream cheese you could mash up avacado, tomato, or blueberries ect. and mix them into the cream cheese and then put it on the bread. Maybe she would even let you spread it on a whole wheat tortilla shell. You can also take baby food or pureed veggies and add them to pancakes and waffles. Sounds gross but you can't even taste them (only use carrots or sweet potatoes). Those are just some ideas. Just try to be creative and remember just because they don't like the food today doesn't mean that they will never like it. Keep trying to get her to taste different foods.
    cont.....
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 10:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• cont....

Keep making different foods available to her by putting fruits and veggies on her plate. She might try them when you don't expect it. And don't forget to show her how great mommy thinks the foods taste. Kids love to mimic. Hope that helps!
    mazonmom

• you need to read jerry seinfelds wife, jessica seinfelds book..its all about how to hide vegetables into foods that kids love and how to hide the taste..but on another note, your baby is only 1 and is constantly gonna push foods away..you need to seriously keep offering her foods she doesnt want to eat becuase just becuase she didnt like it a month ago, doesnt mean she wont like it now.. they say to do that w all babies even when its just baby food. they also say you should offer it a good 15-20 times before you stop trying to make her eat..and make a big deal about everything you eat and how good it tastes!GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I totally agree with trying different foods over and over. My son is 16 mos and his tastes seem to change daily! As for "sneaking in" veggies (and protein), my little one will eat any kind of casserole, stew, pot pie, etc. So I just add veggies or meat or beans to those types of things. For example, add veggies to canned "chunky" soups or stews or pot pies. I can also mix veggies into spaghetti or mac & cheese and he doesn't seem to mind. However, if I try to serve them separately, he will refuse. Good luck!
    BobbysMom2007

Answer by BobbysMom2007 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Try new things she has never had. My little one will go through phases of loving something and then in the blink of an eye, she wont eat it anymore. We have gone through apples, grapes, carrots, green beans, bananas, and a few other things. Right now she is on a noodles with tomato sauce kick. She REALLY keeps me on my toes.

Good luck
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:21 AM on Jan. 23, 2009