Which doctor do I see

Hello Ladies!!! I have health insurance but it does not cover infertility treatments. I dont get my period regularly and I do not ovulate regularly. I have been trying for a year and I want to try meds. What kind of doctor do I see? I have a primary care doctor and they can refer me to a gyno but my insurance does not cover this kind of thing. Do I go to a doctor that specializes in infertility and just pay out of pocket and if so can anyone give me an idea of the costs involved. Im not worried about the cost I just want an idea. Thank you sooo much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• HAVE YOU TRIED A FERTILITY MONITOR? THATS WHAT WE ARE GOING TO TRY FIRST BEFORE GOING TO MEDS. GOODLUCK!
    Anonymous

• Thanks for your answer! I didnt think a fertility monitor would work for me because I dont get periods very often so I thought that I meant I didnt ovulate. can you be ovulating if you rarely get a period? should I get a fertility monitor and how do they work?
    Anonymous

• I have irregular periiods and i heard that fertility monitors are great for that, not ovulation predictions kits thats a little different. I am going to try OvaCue fertility monitor its supposed to be the best. check it out at zetek.net
    mommy2tu

Answer by mommy2tu at 11:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• have you talked to your primery care dr. about the irregular periods. I would think he could give you some meds that help to regulate you.
    best of luck getting pg.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Even though your insurance doesn't cover fertility treatments, it might cover testing to find out why you have irregular periods because that actually is a medical condition (you might want to check on that). I'd talk to your regular doctor and see what he/she has to say and get a referral to an ob/gyn if needed. The OB/GYN is a good starting place and probably a little cheaper than a fertility specialist (which really matters when you're paying out of pocket). The OB/GYN can refer you on to a fertility specialist if you require more than entry level fertility treatments (most OB/GYNs do some basic stuff, like prescribing Clomid, but if you need more advanced treatments a fertility specialist will be better). This is just my suggestion, you could skip the OB/GYN step altogether and go straight to the fertility specialist for probably the quickest (but not necessarily cheapest) results. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:10 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• A regular OBGYN can prescribe Clomid if it is needed. That is who you will need to see when you are pregnant anyway. You won't need a fertility doc unless Clomid won't work for you or some other problems arise.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2009