Pain meds and BF

So I have the cyst in my mouth that I am having surgery to remove next Tue. Until then they have me on Lortab 7.5s for pain control. I have been on them for a week and they barley keep things manageable, but I'm alright with that. The Dr. claims these are safe for bf, and they are the same meds I was given after I had her (there was a bad rip...ouchy), but I will have to be on them for a little longer in this case. And I think I will need something stronger right after the surgery, and I will pump and dump at that time. Should I be pumping now rather then nursing? My DD is 9mon. she only bfs 3-4 times a day. What do you ladies think?

Thanks for the help
Kayla

Cris1128

Asked by Cris1128 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on the meds. you can look at kellymom.com or the lactmed database.

pumping and dumping is a waste because the meds will stay in your milk like it stays in your blood stream. I guess you will just need to figure out what meds are safe while nursing and what they can give you.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My OB gave me Loratab 7.5 for the pain the day before I had my dd she though i still had a week left. And I am bfing and I am taking them now because I had a C-SEC. It is safe. But ask your DR tomorrow
    Anonymous

• ^^^^^^^^^again

The reason she is eating less is because of the meds they med are making her sleepy but it is ok she would wake up and eat when she is hungry. My dd is doing the same thing.
    Anonymous

• Thanks guys. I went to Kelly mom and it looks like all is well. The pain meds he wants to give me after the surgery are even ok. It was just nice to have some reassurance.

Cris1128

Answer by Cris1128 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Safe, as long as you take them as directed. Even something stronger (depending on what it is) is safe. I'd find out what they are going to give you post op, and look it up. It's probably safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2009