What's a liberal?

Really. What is one. Legit answers please. I know dem and rep but I never really knew the rest of them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 10:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• a fiscal liberal is someone who wants the government to do everything they can to help people, no matter the cost (give a man a fish)
    a social liberal is someone who favors more permissive society under the idea that as long as nobody else is hurt, it's ok
    the converse to those is conservatives:
    fiscal conservative believes people should take responsibility for themselves, and the government should not be involved. (teach a man to fish)
    social conservative believes in a very strict moral code applicable to all

Think of the two things, social and fiscal as a sliding scale, social a vertical line, fiscal a horizontal, and most people fall somewhere in the middle of the chart. Very few people are all out socialy and fiscally conservative or socially and fiscally liberal. Most people fall towards the middle - socially liberal and fiscally conservative.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• A liberal is someone that has their mind SOOO open, their BRAINS fall out!

They don't think, they let the Media tell them how to think....
    Anonymous

• Anon 10:44 ~ it's better than being a tight ass right? Please stop your stupid comments behind an anon button. She asked a question with an intent on a REAL answer.

A liberal favors progress, freedom, personal belief, lack of prejudice, open-minded, unconventional. It basically means we think outside the box and don't want someone taking our freedoms away.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 10:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think Anon is right about some libs....just like njmom is right about some conservatives. You have to find a happy medium to accomplis anything ang the crazies on both ends of the spctrum are the problem!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• just to make this more difficult, I'm going to tell you what a CLASSICAL Liberal is (or was - they are called conservatives now). Originally, classical Liberalism - sometimes called "Big 'L' Liberalism" - was a political term used in the 16-19th centuries for those who wished to preserve the small, non-intrusive forms of government. They valued the same types of values as "conservatives" do today... Odd, I know. I have always wondered why they didn't choose a different term for the current liberal definition (which, by the way, is a person who values governmental intervention in social issues). The other crap they say about liberals ("hippies", "tree huggers", "pro-choicers", etc. is mostly just stereotypes. The basic definition is a valuing of governmental intervention (social welfare programs, education funding, etc.)
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Iskkra - I think it's because there's too much baggage with being "progressives" what with the whole prohibition thing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• nymommy2boys..i thought that was what i was! and i thought i was conservative! dang..i have been wrong all along! (conservatives=less government)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• People with a heart are liberals and I am proud to say I am a liberal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Liberal=generous
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2009