How long?

I am Breast feeding my dd she is 2wks old. I know that the frist few weeks are the hardest but it HURTS when she if feeding but I do want her to have the milk i have also tried pumping but it HURTS too. My question is how long is it important for her to have the milk because I cant take the pain for long. Please dont bash me and I know she should have it for a yr but I cant do it that long. Would 2-3m be long enough to help her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Any amount of time will help her. Yes, 2-3 months will be enough.

However, i would try talking to a lactation consultant (you can get free counseling at your local WIC office) . Also, when she latches on, make sure it is not just your nipple she has, make sure she has the aereloa (sp?) too in her mouth. And get some of that cream that starts with an L, its for your nipples and safe for baby to consume, and it helps a lot with cracking and pain.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• well the first year is important. formula is second rate and breastmilk is the best for 1 year. a child needs either breastmilk or formula during the first year...

Have you talked to a lactation consultant? or gone to a le leche league meeting. There is no reason to quit because of pain, as it does get better. I had blood blisters when I first started nursing. It was awful.. but we worked through it and worked on her latch and everything was perfect!

2-3 months is better than nothing, 6 months is even better than that because their "open gut" begins to close...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I tried breast feeding my daughter but I realised it just wasn't for me. I breast fed her for the first month and a half and then switched to formula. My daughter is growing just fine, shes even a little big length wise for her age. Shes perfectly healthy and is meeting all of her milestones.

If you really want to keep breastfeeding her then I suggest looking into seeing a breast feeding consultant or taking a class. You might be doing something wrong and that's whats causing the pain. But like me some people just aren't cut out for breast feeding. Dont worry your daughter will be just fine with our without the breast milk. Good luck !!
    HeartsNRoses

Answer by HeartsNRoses at 10:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you are in pain, I would check your latch.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 10:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have asked a lac nurse. When I was in the hospital after I had her and they said she was latching PERFECT. I just really wanted to do it but it isnt working well.
    Anonymous

• I would stop if you are not comfortable. If you are not comfortable than it's not good for you or your baby. I wanted to go for a year too but it just wasn't working out. I ended up doing it for 5 months and my son is healthy and growing rapidly! Do what's best for you and your baby.
    Anonymous

• things can easily change when you get home.. seeing an LC once doesn't mean you don't need to see them again. If you really wanted to do it, you could make it work. It's not always easy for every one. It sometimes takes work, but it is worth it!

See if you can find another LC or contact the LLL leader in your area. There is tons of support out there if you want it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• that being said, if you don't want to continue trying it's your choice. :) I am just letting you know it can get better if you get the support and help you need!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I didnt just see her once. I saw her every time I fed her until 5. o'clock for 3 day til i went home. they had a few of them on staff so she was able to be there to help me. so thanks and I do want to try if I didnt then I would just quit I and going to do it for at least 2-3m and if it changes before then then I will do it til 6m like i planned on in the beginning. Then I am going to pump it and give it to her in a sippy or bottle. Thanks for your imput.

And thanks to everyone that answered.
    Anonymous

• I know that it is hard. Having support helps. If you want to do it you can. Def see another lactation consultant. Use some Lanolin. I have had the best results with Lansinoh. I didn't get far with nursing. It didn't work well for us. I have been pumping for 6 1/2 months. It is well worth the work. If you want to make you will make it work. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009