17 month old behaving badly

my 17 month old son is acting completly diffrent the past week. he is thowing thins, hitting and kicking. he even trew his sippy cup at a friends newborn baby. i just don't know what to do with him anymore. we put him in time out in his bed but he just kicks and screams more. eventually he calms down for a bit but them an hour later he is starting all over agian. he even does this right after a nap or being fed. we live in a studio apartment so i cant put him in another room, this makes things a bit more difficult to deal with.

mr.scariesmommy

Asked by mr.scariesmommy at 10:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just try ur best to ignore it and dont talk about it in front of him. they really do listen and try to show off. u have to pay no mind and dont dwell on it. he will be like o it doesnt bother them anymore. jus say no and thts it
    Suvimom

Answer by Suvimom at 11:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think its just a stage. My son changed over night between 17 and 18 months. I thought oh lord how did we get to this point!! Every little thing with him was a challenge. I just tried to ignore him and kinda stay away from things I knew would cause melt downs and of course lots of time in the corner.LOL It took (2-3 weeks) just long enough that I was about to give up the thought of more children then he evened out. I think they are just so confused about the fact that they want to be "big" but they just can't do all they think they should. Good luck hopefully it will pass soon.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 12:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• He is testing his boundaries. STAY CONSISTANT! If you let him get away with it he will keep doing it and it will get worse. If he throws something tell him "if you throw it than you may not have it anymore" let him have his tantrum-in a designated time out spot. and when he calms down enough for him to hear you ask QUIETLY "are you finished screaming yet?" if he cries more let him, ask again when he's quiet enough for him to hear you. it takes time, but whenhe realizes that you leave it up to him to decide when he's finished with a tantrum eventually he won't have one for very long.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 2:22 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• DD was the same! She is 19 months old now and doing a lot better. We just ignored her tantrums. If they were small to medium sized tantrums, I would just walk away and let her deal with her emotions for a minute. After a little while, she would come find me and want to be held and cuddled. If they were BIG tantrums, she would want me to hold her or sit next to her. Which I did. Try to stay calm! I know it is hard but I noticed DD really played off my emotions.

For my DD, I think she was learning how to deal with us saying "no" to her. Until this age everything she really asked for was a necessity. Stay consistent and he will figure it out.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2009