Do you believe the bible (at least the old testament) is fable or fact?

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 10:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I did when I was little, now I dont know about it
    Anonymous

• I believe some things may or may not be based on fact.

But for the most part, I think it's a great story book with a lot of good morals.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The entire Bible including the Old Testament is inspired by God and everything asseted as true is true. The burden is on us to recognize what the Bible is and is not asserting, and people can make mistakes in doing this. This applies to science or history or faith or morals or salvation or any other subject. The Bible is true. The error belongs to us as interpreters, not to the Holy Spirit and not to the Scripture that he inspired.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• its partly both. i believe some things like david and goliath and noahs ark, and some i think are lessons
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I mean, really. Jonah and the whale? Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego? Parting of the Red Sea?

Some things are just too completely fantastical to believe whole heartedly in, sorry. But to each their own, maybe I'm missing something.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Book of fables with some good morals.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Real stories with alot of typologies. It is a very unique book.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 11:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• caitxrawks ~ my thoughts exactly! I want to know what makes people believe they are more.

So yeah, what makes you believe these crazy stories are real. Adam was supposed to die after eating an apple yet lived for 940 years and he had two sons Cain and Abel and sent one out to find a wife?!?!? Where did she come from??? Fable sounds more realistic which isn't a bad thing. I believe fables give us our best morals but what do we take as fact anymore?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It was not God's original plan for mankind to die. Eating that forbidding fruit now mean they were going to experience death. Just we do today. That is why Jesus came so we may still live forever eternally.
    Anonymous

• If we weren't meant to die....ever. Then if we still reproduced....wouldn't we be over the amount of land per person?!?!?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2009