Has anyone ever hosted an open house on your own in order to sell it? How do I do it? Is it worth it?

Trying to sell our house. I keep thinking what we need is an open house. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alexmomma2007

Asked by alexmomma2007 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I've hosted a few open houses & had great luck. #1: clean, clear the clutter, clean some more. #2 get rid of any kids or pets for the day. #3. Burn vanilla or cinnamon bun candles where ever it's safe-men react positively to those smells. #4: print up sheets of all details of your home including room sizes, special features such as jacuzzi's as well as photos so they can refer back to them once they get home. #5. When doing the tour-be professional & keep any emotion out of it. You want to sell the home but sometimes emotions can creep out.

You will get lots of nosy people who just like to go to open houses for fun but remember to have them tell their friends about it as well. Relax & enjoy it. Good luck
    redfairy41

Answer by redfairy41 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I think an open house is a great idea. My husband and I have been to a few we'd otherwise not gone to look at. If you have a realtor, he or she will have pointers. Make an informative sheet to give out to anyone stopping by with -
    How many bedrooms, closets
    What's been renovated
    How old is the house
    How large the land, any interesting trees on site...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I haven't hosted one myself, but I helped a friend host one. It was effective - their house sold fairly quickly. She took all the toys and put them away except in the den, and she pared those down too. We removed most of the knicknacks from the house, and reorganized some things (think those house selling shows on tv) to simplify the look of the house. The idea is to get the buyer to not only see what you have, but the possibilities of their own things being in that space. Send the kids away for the day, along with any pets (those are major turn offs and distractions). Make the house look neat but still lived-in.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Tara had her open house today, call her.
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2008