When should I switch my four year old out of her "toddler" car seat?

My daughter just turned four and she is small for her age. She is normal height but only weighs about 29 lbs. Her current car seat is rear or forward facing (infant/toddler). The car seat sits so far up and forward that she kicks me in the back unless the front seat is moved all the way up. (I drive an SUV, so this really shouldn't be a problem)

I was wondering about moving her to a booster seat.... maybe one with a harness??

AnastaciasMom

Asked by AnastaciasMom at 11:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd check what the laws for your state are. There are usually height and weight requirements.

LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 11:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You could probably move her to a booster seat. My daughter is almost 4 and 40 lbs. She's in a booster. I did so after she didn't seem to fit the carseat anymore. (she's tall for her age...wearing size 5 already).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• you need to look into your state laws, as well as what your car seat weight limit is :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i thought you could put a 2 yr old in a booster seat?
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Usually the weight limits on toddler car seats are either 30 or 40 pounds. I believe most states are 30 pounds. Being that she is only 1 pound away, you can probably get away with it, but you should still call to find out what the required weight restrictions are, just in case.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 11:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• it doesnt go by age but by weight..i thought all the states weight laws were the same..i looked up booster seats for my 3 1/2 yr old becuase she's already 40lbs.. i looked at a few and the weight ranged from 35-40..29lbs is too small but i would definately look into the laws..try calling your local sherriffs office. they'll have the information for you.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Oh no... not a booster at her age. SO UNSAFE! If she has a convertible seat I would turn her back around to rearfacing.. it's the safest! Until she is 35 lbs. Then she can't kick you. And if you are thinking of a highback booster... it's not going to be any different than her convertible seat.
    Check out the Car Seat Safety board... they can answer all of your questions on carseats and safety.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I just moved my 4 year old to a regular booster because she is 37" tall and weighs 38 lbs. Her booster that we got says that the child must be at least 34" tall and 30 lbs. I recommend waiting til they are at least 36" tall though because the strap just fits my daughter perfectly right now.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Personally, I would leave her in her seat and move her to the other side where she won't kick your seat.

I have two preschoolers in boosters (booster being a seat that uses a seatbelt, a seat with a harness is a car seat) and they are 35 and 45lbs. (and much above average height)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Look at the weight limit on her toddler seat....keep her in it until she excedes it. Kids should not go to a booster until 4 and 40 lbs. Her toddler seat is much safer for her. Can you move her to the other side of the car?
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2009