Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over 18, Back Child Support?

If you find out you have a child who is 18 or over, do you then have to pay back child support?



Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • IF The Mom Had Gotten A Court Order BEFORE The Child Was 18 Yes, Otherwise No.

    Oh ANd Get The DNA Test Just In Case She Tries To Take Him To Court For Back Expenses Because Some Expenses (Tuition, Medical Bills, Etc....) He Could Still Be Responsible For.


    Also If The Child Is In School He Could Have To Pay Support Until The Child Is 21 In That Case The Mother Could Ask For Back Support.


    Good Luck!!!




    Answer by Kari_Noelle at 3:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

  • I don't know the law on it but I would think that if the child is already over 18 there would be no grounds for back support to be ordered.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • It depends on the state I think. It would have to be a court order and probably up to the judge.

    Answer by amethystrse at 11:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • yes. ecspecially if the child wants to go to school and cant afford it. but i think you can only do it until your 21

    Answer by vadasmom at 11:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • I don't know if you've just found out....
    But I am 26 and my mom still gets back CS b/c of non-payment when I was under 18.

    Answer by 3earthangels at 11:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • I am 25 years old I still... sometimes round tax time get checks from him.

    Answer by DancerMomof2 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • Thank you ladies.
    We dont know if the child is my hubbys or not. We just found out there is a possibility but havent heard from the child in question or his mother. Its coming from a relative who is angry at DH.
    Thought Id get some info in case it comes to fruition and is my husbands.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

  • You must already have an established claim against a parent for support... in order for it to be back child support.


    Answer by 3gr8tKids at 9:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009