What would you do if your child is having a problem with a teacher?

My son says that the teacher answers all the other students' questions even when he has his hand raised first. He says he had it raised for 10 mins. and the teacher answered all the other students questions after they raised their hands and when she got to him, she said it was time to move onto another subject. She doesn't take the time to explain to him so he can understand and whey he ask other students she gets angry with him. She has now called a teacher's conference and my son says that if I take her side, he will remember it. My son is very articulate and said to her I will stop talking if you just do your job and teach me. She said she was the teacher, he is the student, this is her class and he has no say so. He felt disrespected. Needless to say, this upset him where he couldn't focus on his other classes. Wish me luck because tomorrow is our conference, my goal is for a win-win situation!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would try to politely bring it up to the teacher. Remember you only have your son's side. She might have a different point of view and might not know she is doing that. Then again she might just not like your son. *shrugs* Hard to say without talking to her.

Remember, you are your son's best advocate.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Just had this problem but the teacher hit my kid and I went to the school didn't bother to stop at the office marched straight to her room and told you it would be in your best interest to not hit my child again because you are truly not going to like my child or me because you will suffer the consequences of my wrath. Funny thing is the guidance teacher got wind of my mad look when going thru the hall and followed me down heard what was said and told the teacher she needs to teach where each and every student can get a grasp on what she is teaching and leave her bad mood at home! Now she is so sweet to my kid its funny! I ask her to come out in the hall or I was coming over her desk and she how she liked getting smacked.
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 11:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have had teachers like that...I think most of us have. I would ask her if maybe he could stay after class for extra help, she cant ignore him then,
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• hear the other side. if it seems that she just doesn't like him try to switch him to another class. remember teachers are people too they don't have to like everyone, lol. maybe she just isn't capable of dealing with your son's personal needs.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 11:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Kind of sounds like he was talking in class and missed her explanations, so she refused to answer his questions.  Which she has every right to do, if he isn't paying attention when it counts.  He's probably more upset about being embarrassed in front of his friends, than her not answering him.  Take your son to the parent teacher conference, so you can get both sides of the story at once.  Then there will be no confusion about what really happened, and the problem can be fixed.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 12:17 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I had a similar problem also. My son had originally began the tension between his teacher and him by talking while she was trying to teach. That I suppose gave her reason to not like him. Even though I understood this, I could not tolerate my son continuously being ridiculed and singled out time after time. I took matters into my own hands. I went to the school board office, made an appointment for a conference in which the teacher, my son, the school counselor , the principal, the school board administrator, my husband and I were all together to address the matter. His school records were pulled, showing he made good grades and was basically well behaved in every other class. The end result was very satisfying. He finished the school year without further incident with any teacher. Talk with anyone who might help you understand the whole situation. Good Luck.
    MsSallyC

Answer by MsSallyC at 12:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• maybe have him put into a diff class w/ diff teacher or if she is being an egg head talk to the headmaster he/she will get to the bottom of it!! gl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sounds like there is more to this story.
    Teachers don't do that. (Not at my school, anyway, and not if they want to keep their jobs.)
    Perhaps he's asked nonsense questions in the past to get the class to laugh? Class clowns can stretch even the best teacher's patience.
    Perhaps his perception of her behavior is skewed.
    If not, and she doesn't have a good explanation, I'd ask the principal to sit in on the next conference, so you can all work towards a solution.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 7:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i would have a meeting with the teacher and the principle..my dad had to do this to a teacher who liked to talk about me and pick on people and it really pissed me off I was on crutches because i messed up my ACL and had to have sugury and she would call me up to the front of the class to stand and write on her board for her knowing i couldn't stand but on 1 leg. My dad went and had a talk with her and the principle and i never 1 time had another problem out of that teacher.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• call the school and ask for a meeting with the teacher and the principle.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2009