How to tell when your toddler is ready for a bed?

My son is one and still sleeps in his crib. I was wondering what kind of signs should I look for in him to know when he is ready for a toddler bed? I am expecting another baby this July when my son will be 1 1/2 and I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have to buy a whole new crib.

Inle_Rabbit

Asked by Inle_Rabbit at 11:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When they are able to throw their leg up and over the rails and pull up then they need to come out. Basically, when it becomes a safety hazard then it's time to get them closer to the ground.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• With both of my kids they were 2-3 years old. Basically, when they started climbing out of the crib on their own it was time for a bed. I never bought a toddler bed. I just bought a regular bed that they could grow into. This way I wouldn't have to buy another bed a few years later.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• when they can climb out....one is way too young though in my eyes ... hes still a baby... i would wait until around 3
    coltonsmum523

Answer by coltonsmum523 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You shouldn't have to buy a whole new crib. Start now! since he will be a BIG brother make that as exciting as possible. He gets a BIG BOY BED and lots of BIG BOY STUFF! that way he won't feel like the baby is taking his stuff away! You should get him accustumed to sleeping in the big bed before the baby comes, not after, bcuz that will be tooo many stresses in his life at once.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 2:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• When you want him in a regular bed, he's ready. You need the crib, start now and get things switched so he'll be used to it before the baby gets here.

Take the crib DOWN. Don't leave it up where he can see it, and especially don't put it where the baby will be yet!!! Once he's settled in his new surroundings, THEN you can put it up for the baby.

Also...anything else you think you might want to change before the baby...bottles, pacifier, etc...change NOW. It's likely to be harder to change/take away and cause more problems because he's going to see you giving "it" to the baby, but you're taking his away.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Oh...we switched our boys at 15 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my son is 22 months and we just put him in a toddler bed early this week. he started climbing out. i also have a 4 month old. u use a bassinet for a couple months anyways and by the time the baby needs to be in the crib your oldest will be ready.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• When Elizabeth climbed out, that's when I knew they were ready. We figured out that you can lower the bed to the toddler height and still put the gate on, so it's on our list of things to do. (the first night, I got a cup of tea poured on my head by a wandering victoria, and the second, elizabeth was very interested in the kitchen cabinets), so we still havn't made the full transition.

But if he's still having issues falling asleep, this may be just the thing for him though. Maybe he doesn't like the crib anymore?
    CillaTexas

Answer by CillaTexas at 9:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Honestly, I would just buy a second crib. My oldest already had his toddler bed when his little bro came, he was 3. I put my middle son in a twin bed when I had my youngest, but he was two when the baby came. My gut tells me that at age 1 or even if he is 18 months when your new baby comes that he will still be too young. My youngest is 16 months old, I don't think he would know to go to Mommy when he wakes up if he were in a toddler bed. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I think it would be dangerous for a child that age to sleep in a todler bed, not because he could fall out, but b/c of what he could get into in the mornings. My son loves the tp, if i leave m bathroom door open he will find a way to sneak in and wet the tp in the toilet and chew it up... this is just one thing he has done... there are countless others.. like him climbing which is almost expert at now.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009