How do I encourage my three year old to eat food besides yogurtsmooothies and cereal?

My little girl usually eats well but for the past few weeks she only wants bowls of milk and cereal and this probiotic kids drink... she has been kind of sedentary just playing in the house due to the freezing tempretures outside she is not ill and in good health. I am not the best cook but i offer a variety of foods to her including her faverotes like bannanas, kiwi, pizza, etc...Any suggestions

GINSMUM123

Asked by GINSMUM123 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I survived growing up on eating my favorite foods for a long time-- cereal kept me alive ... then spaghettios... then cold hot dogs... and for a brief period in high school I ate nothing but banana peppers for a month. Do not think I had a bad mother either- She's the best- she just chose her battles and as long as i was healthy food was not her battle. She also continued to offer a healthy meal every night for dinner. (though many times I did not accept)

I am fine, not over weight at all and at 25 eat generally healthy meals...

I suggest letting the phase run its course... there are worse things to be hooked on than cereal and yogurt.
    my girls refuse to eat anything other than pasta (in ramen noddle, spaghettio or mac and cheese form) I always put some steamed veggies and chicken or soemthing like that on their plate. keep offering, and eventually she will get bored.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 5:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Don't offer cereal and yogurt and only allow her to have what you have prepared fopr the meal. She will get hungry enough to eat.
    Have her take a least one bite of everything on her plate before she can have seconds of anything else she does like (like if she likes the chips but doesn't eat her sandwich then no more chips) If she doesn't... then let her be finished and she will probably be more willing to eat the next meal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• How about trying to make the foods you want her to eat more fun . Like you could do lady bug pizza, its just pizza with sauce and olives. Or funny face pancakes, a pancake with a banana for a mouth and strawberries for eyes and such. Or some oatmeal but let her pick out what she wants to put in it .
    HeartsNRoses

Answer by HeartsNRoses at 11:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I thought of two more ideas for making food fun. You could make pancakes and then give her a cookie cutter and let her cut out fun shapes from them. You could also try making ants on a log with her ( celery filled with peanut butter topped with raisins)
    HeartsNRoses

Answer by HeartsNRoses at 12:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• How about having her help make the food. They usualy want to eat and are proud of something they had a hand in making.
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If she's like most kids, she will eat the food if she helps prepare it, like the post above said. Also, if they can "dip" something into something else, all the better. Why not cut up chunks of fruit and serve with some yogurt for dipping? She may eat the fruit along with the yogurt if you show her this. My daughter loves to cut up her pancakes and dip them in a mixture of peanut butter and syrup. They go through these phases though, my daughter does too. She will get tired of the food quickly and go back to eating regular. I've been through a popcorn only phase, peanut butter sandwich only phase, and cereal only phase lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Cabin fever!!! Sounds like she's a bit bored...I know about the temps...we have them here, too. Try to get her out even if it's just to walk at the mall or store.

And she is old enough to eat what is put in front of her. Continue to prepare healthy meals, and put them on the table. If she doesn't eat...so be it...there's always the next meal. Not eating her meal? Then no dessert and no special snacks. She'll eat....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my 4 year old is the same way haha. I found that if she can help pick items at the store and help in the preperation of the meal she is more likely to eat it. Even little things like pouring something in a bowl she loves and ask her yummy she thinks the meal she just made is going to be!! She also watches as it cooks and that helps her be impatient to try the food.
    peachtree1124

Answer by peachtree1124 at 9:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2009