Bikinis are no long REQUIRED for Olympic volleyball...

Who the heck decided it should have EVER been required!? I never thought much about the fact that the volleyball players all wore bikini's... I didn't realize it was required. It only makes since to me that is wouldn't be... requiring it seems almost demeaning to me...Maybe it is because I am more modest though... what do you think of the new rule vs. the old one? LINK to article

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• it doesn't matter to me. whatever is more comfortable and less restrictive for the players is what matters.
    for countries that have more modest ideas, its a win, i guess.
    however, i don't consider what they have worn as 'bikinis'..they are more like sport-bras.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2012

• I agree with dull, whatever works for the players is fine with me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2012

• what ever works for the players and that is what they choose is fine but to require bikini like attire is completely different...
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2012

• Originally the Olympics only allowed men, and all of the participants were nude. Married women were banned from viewing them, but unmarried maidens were not. Women weren't encouraged to participate in sports or competition except in Sparta ~ and those girls trained and competed in the nude.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2012

• I never knew that. I guess I don't really care. LOL. I am not a sports fan--I don't watch sports unless it is my kids or grandkids,
    . If the girls play Volley Ball in Bikiinis I bet it is because they want to wear a Bikini and show off their toned bodies. Otherwise, I bet they wouldn't be playing Volley Ball, would they? Its an image. A way to get attention. Who cares?
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2012

• If the girls play Volley Ball in Bikiinis I bet it is because they want to wear a Bikini and show off their toned bodies. Otherwise, I bet they wouldn't be playing Volley Ball, would they?

Maybe on a real beach by the water just because they want to play. But for the Olympics, you really think they pick out bikinis to wear in front of the whole world just to show off their bodies?? Really??? It's the OLYMPICS, where nearly everything is done according to the rules & regulations, including UNIFORMS. Good grief, grocery, get real.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2012

• It is weird as one piece suit is usually more athletic.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2012

• the girls play Volley Ball in Bikiinis I bet it is because they want to wear a Bikini and show off their toned bodies. Otherwise, I bet they wouldn't be playing Volley Ball, would they?

Maybe on a real beach by the water just because they want to play. But for the Olympics, you really think they pick out bikinis to wear in front of the whole world just to show off their bodies?? Really??? It's the OLYMPICS, where nearly everything is done according to the rules & regulations, including UNIFORMS. Good grief, grocery, get real
    ------------------------------------
    My screen name is NOT IGA. It is LGA, stupid.
    I was not talking about the Olympics. I was talking about the ordinary everyday Volley Ball girls. I don't give a crap about any of it,not even the Olympics.I don't even watch. I would rather be watching a good movie or PBS.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2012