Do you think a 3-year-old should be allowed to play on the computer excessively and unattended?

DH has SD who is 3 addicted to Nick Jr. That's basically all she wants to do when she is here, despite the fact that we bought her tons of new toys for X-mas. A lot of the time, he isn't even paying attention to what she is doing, she has printed pics off and wasted lots of ink, and she could easily click on the wrong things and cause major computer problems. Also, we have 3 teens who are constantly on the computer and I try to squeeze time in also. I know my 15 yo DD is on the computer WAY too much, but at 3....he has started a terrible habit.

coolcrow

Asked by coolcrow at 12:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont understand what you are asking...??
    She should not be on the computer at all, she needs to be more active!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• yea, a 3 year old shouldn't even be on the computer. how weird.. my 2 year old has mimicked mommy and played with my laptop but she doesn't sit at the computer. You may want to nip this problem in the bud now before it gets too serious, or she fries your computer.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My daughter is 18 months, and she LOVES the computer. She has a computer game though... not internet games. She has one called Jump Start Baby (i got it at Target). She presses buttons and it makes the program do things... no computer talent required. LOL. But it does have some good educational value to it. I did have to pop out the windows keys on the key board though, because if you press those buttons it drops the program down... giving her access to the computer.

I think the computer can be a great learning tool... but only if she is paying attention. If your SD isn't paying attention, and just wasting time/ink i would try getting her involved in something else. Maybe sit with her and help her play the games. Cant you just unplug the printer?
    Klynn-whitlow

Answer by Klynn-whitlow at 12:20 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• by 2 years old.. my son could type in the password to get onto the computer! And by 3 he was showing grandma how to install games he wanted to play.
    He doesn't spend excessive time on the computer - but now that he's 5 he can navigate pretty good, and knows his limitations.
    On my computer he has his "own" account, it will not allow him to do any harm to the computer, or access the internet - or any of MY files.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• She does pay attention and she does learn from it, and I know kids these days have to learn computer skills, I just think she shouldn't be allowed to be on it so much at her age and it makes me ill when he is not paying attention to her when she is on it. The computer is NOT a toy and very expensive to replace or repair. And yes, I could unplug the printer, but I shouldn't have too, she needs to be taught what things she can and can't do, and that applies to everything, not just the computer.
    coolcrow

Answer by coolcrow at 12:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I don't understand... you seem to know what you want, so what is the problem? I mean, is this something you and your husband fight about? Are you not allowed to have input when it comes to how she is raised? You could buy a timer, and set it for like an hour or whatever... then when it dings, that's it. Explain to her that she can't print whenever she wants, and that she needs to ask. IDK.
    Klynn-whitlow

Answer by Klynn-whitlow at 12:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I have told him that she needs to be watched and not be pushing buttons and stuff, but a lot of the time he is "engrossed" in the tv or something and doesn't see what she is doing. If I say anything about him starting this a bad habit, he says all the kids have bad habits and they all stay on it too much. The teenagers know a lot about the computer and wouldn't be as likely to crash it or something. Kids and stepkids are a very touchy subject.
    coolcrow

Answer by coolcrow at 12:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My daughter is 4 and she loves Nick Jr also. As far as the playing it goes, I don't see a problem with it if she isn't on it all day. My daughter gets one hour total per day to play her games. She gets to print one thing per day, but its normally coloring pages that are black and white anyway. I like her printing the coloring pages because she then gets off the computer and spends at least 30 minutes coloring a beautiful picture, then mailing it to grandma. I think you should tell your husband how SERIOUSLY you feel about the issue.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Heck no she shouldn't be even near the computer! Come back and let us know the first time she screws it up and you after you pay to get ot working again?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• All kids need to have their computer time limited, just like TV and video games. This is why we are a nation of fatties and other countries kick our butts in academics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2009