I can't get my 13 month old son to eat much table food yet. Any ideas/suggestions on what I can try for food or what I can do to encourage him to eat "big people" foods?

He refuses to try anything that is cut up in bite sized pieces. His favorite foods are bananas, pancakes, waffles, yogurt and looooves his whole milk. Help!

campeno

Asked by campeno at 8:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have the same probelm my son is 14 months and lives pancakes cheese bread and chicken nuggets and pasta and that is it he will not eat anything on a spoon and he loves his juice and milk. I just say that hopefully they will grow out of it when they get older
    ISAIAHMOM632007

Answer by ISAIAHMOM632007 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• WHEN MY LIL ONE WAS THAT YOUNG SHE WAS ALREADY EATING EVERYTHING ON HER PLATE..SHE STILL IS.. IT JUST SO HAPPENED THAT WHENEVER I ATE I'D SIT HER WITH ME AND PLACE A SMALL PORTION OF WHAT I WAS EATING ON HER PLATE ASWELL SO LITTLE BY LITTLE SHE WOULD PICK IT UP AND THERE U HAVE IT. IF UR SONB ISNT EATING LIKE U WOULD LIKE DONT WORRY EVERYONE IS DIFFRENT AND DEVELOPE A TASTE FOR FOOD AT THEIR OWN PACE.. GOOD LUCK MOM..
    lucynsam

Answer by lucynsam at 8:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Hi! I made all my own baby food for all three kids. When they were ready for "table food" I made meals that would be easy on them, but delicious enough for the whole family to eat. Look for the "Fresh Baby" cookbook/workbook. Lots of fruits and vegetables can be mushed or cooked then mushed into form for the babies. Meat can be placed in a mill and ground into finer bites. I loved using it! You could also look at www.onestepahead.com. Hope this helps! All the best!
    hancockmomof3

Answer by hancockmomof3 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Nice try, i mean your hubby.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I remember that happened with my twins. The doctor said to just feed them what they like, and slowly, on thing at a time, introduce them to new stuff. At some point they will take it. I fed them every single different baby food they had out there thinking that would help them to have a more wide range of likes. Yea right! LOL. Didn't work that way!
    mommmyof5

Answer by mommmyof5 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• "Nice try, i mean your hubby."

Huh?!?
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 3:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• You could try small tortilla's with cheese and some hummus, smashed banana and/or avocado. My son was the exact same..don't fret. He'll start exploring more! :) In the meantime, try adding shredded veggies/fruits to homemade pancakes...add some wheat germ or flax to boost nutrition. Same yogurt...add fruits and wheat germ/flax. Make some smoothies. Lot's of ideas...may take some time though
    campeno

Comment by campeno (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010