weight problems?(18 month old "under weight")

at my sons last drs appt they said he was under weight and too short according to the growth chart. he was 16 months and weighed 17 pounds ? ounces. he had 2 shots that day and they ordered a bunch of lab work to check him out claiming he was severly underweight we told them both my DH and me were very small as children and that i even had to ride in a carseat til the last day of k-garten. his nanny is skinny and shorter than me even. we told them that he refuses to drink milk and they said that could be it and to give him pediasure and they were gonna run these test asap, made me a nervous wreck thinking somethings wrong. test all came back fine and he has gained 2 pounds by 17 months. hes a very happy boy and not at all behind devlopmentaly. but the chart which they use compares him to the average child that age but then say the ave is over weight. my child is fine but its stressful, im just wondering is going through this

volsmomma22

Asked by volsmomma22 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Health

• My son turns 18 months on the 24th, he went to the doctor today he weighs 19 pounds and 7 ounces. Doctor says he is underweight - my son eats and eats but he is just so active (literally really active) so I have learned to just go with it. He is healthy and happy and thats all that matters
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 12:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Doctors arent always right. every child develops at his or her own speed. my son is also under weight for his age. but my son was 2lbs when born and they want him to be some fat baby or something. if he is happy and eats fine and nothing came back wrong then dont worry about him i am sure he is doing to have a growth spurt and then u will wish he was small again...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If he's been following his own curve, I wouldn't be worried. If there was a sudden "lack of growth" or he dropped below his curve, the it's definitely work keeping an eye on it and I'd be glad the doctor was being a bit more proactive!!

The 50th percentile is about 25lbs for 16 months. 17lbs isn't even ON the chart, and the doctor may have been concerned about that. Better to check it out and make sure nothing is wrong than to let it go, do nothing and miss something....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• im very glad they checked i would rather be safe than sorry but i dont like drs pushing whole milk which is full of unhealthy fats and growth horomones. i dont like them scaring me ****less and not telling us whether or not to be worried. i dont like them stressing he is under weight when the kids they are comparing him to are also considered to be over weight for their age, and they told me not to give him anything else to drink but whole milk or pediasure to force him to drink them he spits out the milk and was doing that with the pediasure at first, and he went an entire day with nothing to drink so i quit following that he would have gotten dehydrated and if he were to get sick after that would have been in the hostpital. im just stating they take things to the extreme sometimes when kids dont fit into the little box they want them in.
    volsmomma22

Answer by volsmomma22 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my daughter is 19 months old and weighs 18 lbs. the doc said she was severely under weight, but she eats, drinks her milk, everythnig shes very very active. my hubby (her father) is 21 and weighs less than 110 lbs. when i was a kid i was 33 lbs when i was 5. after a long list of tests and other things the doc. said its probably just her growth rate....i dunno.....just thought id throw my two cents in there.
    Anonymous