Catholicism

Is there any serious difference between catholics and protastants...Like if I converted to Catholicism would I still go to heaven???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes.. Im Catholic and they except anyone it doesnt matter who you what you are or what you have done...
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It really depends on the individual and individual churches rather than Catholics as a whole. My 2 best friends in the whole world are both Catholic. One has been a best friend since we were 3... the other since 2nd grade. I'm talking SERIOUS friendships here.

On the other hand, I've met a few other Catholics who, upon finding out I am Buddhist, avoided me like I have the plague. I mean.... one of them literally hugged her children to her & backed away from me.

One of my BFFs left her church which she'd grown up in because she disagreed with the priest running it. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is.... if you're interested in Catholicism... and you get negative results the first few times....don't give up too easy.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• A few of the differences are that Catholics believe in purgatory. Protestants believe to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Also some (not all) Catholics have a rote prayer regimen with Our Fathers, and Hail Marys. Protestants talk to God as a friend and Father in their own words (normally). Catholics also speak to saints, and ask help through them. Protestants pray to God through Jesus Christ alone. Heaven depends on truly believing in Jesus, repentance, and seeking to live for Him.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Catholics also talk the Father and his son in our on words. We also believe that we can talk to God directly not just through his son and we also can ask the Holy Spirit to help us. We don't just do the rote prayers. If you look at the rosary it's a meditation of the mysteries of Christs life. Form his birth to pentecost.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Protestants misunderstand many Catholic beliefs and traditions, if you are interested in learning about the Catholic faith a good book written in easy to understand language is Catholicism for Dummies. Here are some good websites that can also give you information:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church
    Catholic Answers
    Catholic Bridge
    - answers many of the misunderstandings of Evangelicals

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 10:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Catholics go to heaven but only if they accept Christ into their heart and repent to God of their sins. They don't need a priest to confess to they can go straight to God on their own. They don't need saints to pray for them they can pray to God directly. My father in law is a Christian but attends a Catholic church he likes the ceremony but does not partake of the communion, confession nor does he pray using saints. He is ready to leave since the religion is so contrary to the Bible.

Anonymous

• My parents are Catholic and I just consider myself a general Christian and have gone to protestant churchs before. We dont think anything of it. It is believing in and being faithful to god that counts though I do find Catholics to be more accepting. It is you actions and behaviour that determines wether or not you get into heaven.
    Anonymous

• Make a relationship with God, whatever that means to you. Why label it?
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Catholics are Christian. Yes, you will still go to Heaven. The differences are doctrinal, mostly. The fundamental core of the faith is the same, Catholic or Protestant.

Research the Roman Catholic Church. Even though I'm no longer Roman Catholic, I can say with all honesty that Catholics are indeed Christian. Good luck with your conversion, sweetie. May God bless you on your walk with Christ.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 4:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009