We recently found out that my 2 cousins were molested by an uncle. It happened 9 yrs ago. One of the two cousins has been bottling this whole thing inside her for 9 yrs now until recently when she came out. Another cousin came out after that & admitted that she was molested by the same uncle. They're both in the 20s now and got molested between the ages of 4 to 6. My question now is, is there a statue of limitations regarding this offense? Could my cousins still press charges?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• I think they can it jus wont be a strong case cuz there is no evidence unless your uncle confesses...
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• There is, but it might vary by state. I would have them go in to special victims and find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I know for many states it's 5 years for rape... and I think similar for molestation.. but I am not sure.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Depending on what state you are in there is a statue of limitations. However some states allow that the Statue of limitations does not start until the party comes forward has an adult due to the fact that the abuse took place when they were minors. Please by all means contact your local DA's office and ask them what the laws are reagrding your state. Do not assume that it will end because if he did this to them when they were young he will continue to do it. Unfortunately my family found about this the hard way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• A similar situation happened to me, my step brother raped me every night for two years...I finally went to the police (after attempting suicide more times than I can count and drinking ALOT). I reported him, but never followed threw with the charges...the cop told me my whole past would be dragged out, and I would be made to look like a slut. I later found out his son was my step brothers really good friend. But at the very least reporting it helped me get over it. So I would tell them to report it...it will help them either way, and it will help make sure he NEVER does it again!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Please pass this message to your cousins from me.
    In reporting it, you may never get the justice you so well deserve, but you WILL red flag him and your courage could save another child what you went through. He will never stop. He will find a new victim, a small child who cannot defend themselves. You have the power now, you have the power to stop him. You have the power to save another child from what you went through. It wont be easy, but I know a woman who is strong enough to endure what you endured, has the strength to do this.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 3:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It is sad but true that there is often a statue of limitations on these crimes. Some states are changing it to a certain number of years after the victim has "remembered" the abuse, as so many people block it out. Call the police department or an attorney in your area to find out if they are still able to press charges. Other than that, all of the other ladies are right, even if you can't send him to prison for this now, you must report it, just to get his name on the books...
    And NightOwlMama's message is perfect, I echo her sentiments exactly...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 5:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• There are limitations, each state is different, you will have to check. The way you will catch this guy is if he is still doing it.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2009