limbo

is limbo strictly a catholic thing? because im technically lutheran (i was baptized lutheran, had a first communion as a catholic but never had a confirmation) im planning on joining a lutheran church starting monday (in order to join you have to take months of classes) and going to church starting sunday, but i believe limbo exists. my nana is a devout catholic and told me that most people are not good enough for heaven and not bad enough for hell so they have to spend time in limbo until they are ready to go to heaven. i think it makes sense, and it explains how people see ghosts. no matter your opinion, i dont have to be catholic in order to believe in limbo right? I KNOW i may sound ignorant to some but im being sincere! you can bash me if you want but i also want real answers :]

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 12:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ReneeK3 - matt 12: 32... This does not imply there will be a "second chance" to receive forgiveness after death.

Your site is bias because it misrepresents the Catholic teaching about purgatory.  Purgatory is NOT about forgiveness after death nor is it the idea that we get a second chance.  If you don't have an accurate understanding of what purgatory is, it's difficult to claim that it's wrong.

Is Purgatory Found in the Bible

There are also several Protestants and Evangelicals that accept the concepts behind purgatory even if they don't use the word "purgatory".  See "Final Purification" and "Purgatory In All But Name")

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think you can belive what ever you want no matter what your religon is..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• okay that makes sense :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I believe that ghosts are here because they have unfinished business, or something to teach. I don't know if that would be limbo or not... but i do believe there is something keeping them from "resting in piece."
    Klynn-whitlow

Answer by Klynn-whitlow at 12:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Limbo is a belief were the babies that died before being baptised went. What you are thinking about is purgatory. This is a doctrine of the church. This is place were souls go on thier way to heaven to be purified before seing the Father. For no one is not pure can be with him. As we are human and we all have little and a few big sins on our souls we need a bath or cleansing. For some it's a short time for others a little longer.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Not bashing but I don't believe in hell or limbo. I don't think GOD is "petty" like that and when we're done in the physical we simply shed our skin and return HOME. No judgment, no critique, no worries. The only one who "judges" us is ourselves. We view our life and see how we could've done things differently or better. That's it.
    I do, however, believe in ghosts like Klynn-whitlow. But they are simply "lost" because of their own decisions, not because of God.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think what Catholics believe in is called purgatory (same thing as what you're talking about). Purgatory is not mentioned nor taught anywhere in the Bible.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Limbo was a theological hypothesis that the Catholic Church no longer teaches. Here is a good article to explain it.

What you seem to be referring to is the concept of Purgatory which is more of a process than a place. Here is an article to explain the Catholic understanding of Purgatory.

I did read the 'got questions' article and it is clearly biased. When you want to know what a particular religion believes it is best to ask ask someone who practises that religion. Anti-Catholics are more interested in misrepresenting Catholic belief.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 11:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• erdavh: Could you tell me where in the Bible purgatory is then? I haven't found it. I tend to go by the teachings in the Bible and not so much by religion.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2009