is it good or bad to have a pet around a new born baby??

because i have 3 dogs and i dont know if i should get rid of them 4 a while or what??

MRSZDIMEDIVA

Asked by MRSZDIMEDIVA at 1:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pets

• I think your fine.. I had a cat as long as they arent wild or like aggresive Im sure you will be fine..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it, unless your dogs have issues with children. It will be an adjustment for them... but it can be done. Also, watch your baby for signs that they may be allergic to dogs. Also, don't keep your dogs away from the baby... it will only make them more curious and try harder to see the baby. Just make sure you are there when they are in the room with the baby. They are still wild unpredictable animals... so just be aware of what is going on.
    Klynn-whitlow

Answer by Klynn-whitlow at 1:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Don't leave them alone with them but you can have them around them.We had 2 large dogs when I had my 4th.They didn't want anything to do with her when she cried.Kinda funny huge Doberman and Rottie scared of a newborn crying.Made me laugh!We let them smell her and all her stuff. They just didn't like the noise!
    ArmyWife041408

Answer by ArmyWife041408 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i agree w the other posters..im preggo w my 3rd and my dog will be 9 months when baby is born. im definately Not going to keep my dog away..i think it will just be harder when it comes time for dog to meet baby
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We had a house full of pets when I brought our son home and it was fine. Our dog had just had puppies, and we have cats too. I heard that having animals around your baby, (or in the house), can help your child so they don't develop allergies to them. Just watch them around the baby.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I'd get rid of them better to be safe then sorry if something was to happen. You would never forgive your self.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• have your husband or someone bring home a blanket from the hospital the day before you bring the baby home let the dogs smell it and rub it on there stuff. Thats what we did with our dog and he didn't have a problem with the baby at all. Also, I would introduce the dogs one at a time so it isn't a rush to see the baby first.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• it depends on the animal as long as your pets arent a safety risk I see no resean for them not to be around the baby - my dog use to sit next to my daughter's crib and just watch her the whole time she slept - it was like she was the nervous mommy
    Anonymous

• The only pet I gave away was my cat because He was such rug (loved to lay on top of people) that I was afraid he would accidentally suffocate the baby in his bassinet while I was sleeping.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Just don't ever leave them alone together. Even friendly animals can accidently injure or kill a newborn. I had a dog who would run to a crying baby, and try to paw it and nuzzle. That could definately injure a baby. And cats like the smell of formula and breastmilk, so they are attracted to the smell of baby's breath. If the cat lays on the baby, then baby can't breath.

But the great part about pet ownership with a newborn, is that the baby is less likely to develop an allergy to animals since she was exposed to them so early. My peditrician told me that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2009