Giving Water/Juice?

My DD is 4months and i am starting her on solids in the coming weeks and i was wondering if i needed to start giving her water with meals? I have heard from a few people that giving babys water with there food helps them to not be constipated later. But do i really need to or is she getting enough fluid from her breast milk?

KeagansMom08

Asked by KeagansMom08 at 1:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didnt and my son did fine i jus made it really soggy for the first couple times... You cant give them juice till they are 6 months...
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My first daughter got watered down juice at 4 months occasionally as a treat. She loved it! But they need formula or breast milk more than juice or water so it isnt necessary, though it wont hurt anything. And yes, water will help keep baby regular.
    stampmama

Answer by stampmama at 1:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i read in a book that when you start giving them solids you should give them a little bit of water after bcuz it helps their kidneys cleanse out the waste.  i think its fine if you give them just a couple sips, or you could even use breastmilk or formula i'm sure.  Also, its up to you but the earlier you start them on solids the more likely they might be to getting allergies.  you may want to wait atleast until 5 or 6 months. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• No, they don't need water. Breastmilk will give her all she needs. There is also a good amount of water IN the baby food.

She doesn't need water at all while on breastmilk (or formula for others) unless given juice, then water the juice.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:03 AM on Jan. 23, 2009