I think I'm not going to smoke any more cigarettes.

Okay, so I've smoked for, lets see, over 20 years. I smoked the last cigarette in the last pack in the carton this evening. I'm thinking of not buying any more.... but I'm already feeling anxious.... plus I'm menstrual. Anyone out there who has quit or who has some tips for getting through the morning when I would usually be having my coffee and morning cigarette?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I quit cold turkey July of 2006 after smoking for 13 years (I started when I was 11) to be honest the first 6 months were the hardest but it does get easier
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 1:34 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I had to stop cold turkey and it sucked!! I cheated a couple time and one here and there but I never went back to buying packs... and now that I have quit when I do take a drag off one I get sick from the taste...
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think the trick is having something worth quiting for. For me, it was my husband, he said he wouldn't marry me unless I quit smoking. I'm pretty sure he still would have married me, but it was incentive enough to quit. I stopped when we got engaged.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I'm in the situation as you are as soon as you figure out a way to quit please let me know thankyou
    countrylady29

Answer by countrylady29 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I stopped smoking in my house. Well, actually I moved and I never smoked in that apt, so it really decreased the number of cigarettes I smoked. Then, I stopped smoking while I was at work, because I could smell other people who smelled like cigarettes and it was gross. Now, I only smoke when I'm having a drink, so I wouldn't even call myself a "smoker" anymore . . it's possible!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I quit within five days of finding out I was pregnant. For me, that was reason enough. I haven't had one since. It will be three years as of April 18th. Myself, I never even really missed them. I did think about having a cigarette when I would see someone on tv or in a movie light up. You will probably need to find something to keep your hands busy. A new hobby, maybe? And I have heard that chewing regular gum can help keep your mouth busy.

I can tell you this, it does get easier the longer you can make it without smoking. After a couple of months I didn't even think about smoking.

The strange thing is I still smoke in my dreams sometimes. And I feel guilty in my dreams because I know I shouldn't be smoking. Weird.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• wash everything in your house to get rid of the smell, and keep your hands busy at the same time. buy a can of chocolate frosting and stick your finger in it when you get a craving. (this is a proven tactic used on heroin addicts, but don't over do it. that can should last two weeks min.) Drink water like it's going out of style, to cleanse the toxins from your body. Chew gum like your very existence depends on it. Get someone to support you, and help you thing straight. Instead of dwelling on a craving, sing a song until it passes. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2009