I need a cheap project to keep me busy for the next year!

So with the love of my life deploying for a year I know I'm gonna need something to do to help the time pass. I have an 18 month old daughter, so it needs to be something that I can do when she is asleep or busy playing. Any ideas? Money is really tight so I cant spend a lot on this project.

Caities_mommy

Asked by Caities_mommy at 8:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Scrapbooking. You don't have to spend a lot. What makes it nice is when you write captions so in future years, your family can read through and know the stories behind your photos.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I agree scrapbooking I sell creative memories and because your husband is a soilder I will give you a 10% discount on your whole order. As my thank you
    Anita
    www.mycmsite.com/anitaalderman if you are going to order pm me with what you want and I will order and have it shipped to you.
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• yea, I was going to say what the 2 ladies said above, scrapbooking. However, if you like all the "extras" to really make your pages pop...go to the dollar store otherwise it could get $$$$$$.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I agree scrapbooking or photography. OOOOH! you could make a scrap book or video diary for your man of what he missed when he was gone!
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Cross stitching is fun if you like to sew.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I do cross stitching and it is cheap. you can get patterns off the internet for nothing. The material is around $2 (and thats a big piece) and the colors are I think most places have them for 27 cents. EBay is great for getting a bunch of string!
    BriceAllisonMom

Answer by BriceAllisonMom at 12:58 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• DIGITAL scrapbooking.  Scrapbook Max is my favorite online resource for really inexpensive (and also free) templates, embellishments, backgrounds, etc.  There's a community forum that's great too. 

www.scrapbookmax.com

Download a FREE 30-Day Trial Version of Scrapbook MAX!

Google "Digital Scrapbooking" for other online resources.happy

HannahMom2000

Answer by HannahMom2000 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2008

• What branch of the military? We were Air Force and there was a family center on the base I was able to get with other wives that had husbands deploy. Also ask him to ask his suppervisor if theres anything for the spouse of those deploying. Special groups. Every branch has something. Having something to do and having someone to talk to going through the samething helps.
    scrapinmamaK

Answer by scrapinmamaK at 12:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2008

• i love crocheting. I know it sounds kind of old lady, but I promise, it's still fun! When I was pregnant with my daughter, I used to crochet while I watched TV, etc. It's mindless, productive, and something you can teach your daughter to do. Plus, you could make blankets and scarves and stuff. My church had a mission project a few years back to make snow hats and mittens and scarves for poor families in Romania. (That's actually where I learned to crochet) Our entire church got in on it and all of the classes competed for most items, most creative, best designs, that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure that, with a bit of research, you can find people who need anything you make if you don't want to keep it for yourself. It's cheap too! Yarn is fairly inexpensive (especially when you make things and compare the cost of yarn to the cost of buying it already made)

As an aside, I'd like to thank your family for helping keep our country safe!
    Mommybean85

Answer by Mommybean85 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2008