Child proofing the house?

I took my 6 month old to the pedi today and she said "he'll be crawling before you know it, just make sure you get the house nice and safe, which I'm pretty sure it already is since you have an older child." I started thinking and I'm like oh crap, our house needs to be child proofed! We moved in when the baby was a month old and I haven't really looked at what needs to be done. So far all I have is the outlet covers. What else should I be doing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get down on their level and look all around. see if there are things that they can potentially hurt themselves on. i'm not really sure what else, my baby is 6 months and crawling and i haven't even gotten the outlet covers yet. i really need to he is very interested in them!
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 2:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think power cords are going to be the big issue, like the ones for the computer and tv. I can't cover them up so what should I do? Tie them together or something?

by the way I am the OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Hide electrical cords behind furniture or get one of those hide-a-cord things. You can put up gates to block stairways at bottom and top. Put latches on cabinets and drawers. Cut off or tie up dangling cords on drapes and blinds. Block off fireplace if you have one. Hide sharp edges of furniture with pillows, blankets, or foam rubber. Pick up anything off the floor that a baby could get in to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Jan. 23, 2009