I keep hearing about this and am wondering what Obamas reasoning is..

Why he decided to close Guantanamo??

I really do not want opinions on this whether you think it is right or wrong.

I'm wondering what HIS REASON is for agreeing to close it?

Thanks :)

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:34 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My understanding is it has to do with their interrogation methods. Gitmo has a very bad rap for how they deal with prisoners, I could be wrong, this is just from what i have read so far in the news today. It is part of his stance on how we deal with prisoners and interrogations and part of his plan to change how we do things in that area.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Are they just letting them go? or are the transferring them somewhere else??? to another prison??
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I sure hope there transferring them!
    bkt84

Answer by bkt84 at 3:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• from what i read its a transfer but not stateside. no decision has been made it is supposed to happen over the course of a year.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Some of them are being freed and some transferred to another facility

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The whole detention thing was not exactly legal by Geneva Convention standards. Those detainees have been locked up for almost 8 years without a trial. Even our worst criminals get a semi speedy trial and a defense attorney.They also were held without being able to see why they were being held. They were tortured. I know some will say they are animals and deserve nothing less, but how doe we really know if they were true terrorists. Yes, there are the top Al Qaeda operatives and they deserve to rot in there. Think of it this way, if they go elsewhere, they will no longer be given the same medical care the military gets. We will no longer be footing the bill for their colonoscopies or tube feedings while they hunger strike.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• well, this gives me hope for our president then.
    good, im glad to hear this.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• He wants to handle things more diplomatically, but what he is going to end up realizing is that you can't be diplomatic with terrorists.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Anon 8:09 is correct. Those are basically all the reasons for the closure of GITMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• He and many others see it as inhumane to treat terrorists with such indignity. As I understand Gitmo, it lacks a lot of the amenities of our finer prisons here in the U.S.--like television, libraries, gourmet meals. It's just too terrible to treat our fellow human beings like that, even though they have tried to kill us.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:51 AM on Jan. 23, 2009