How Do I Get My (almost) 2yr Old Son To Stop Eating His Crib/Bed?

My Son will be 2yrs old in March. He started chewing bad on his crib about 6months ago. I work 50-60hrs a week (Mon-Sat) and Daddy stays home w/baby so I am having a hard time working with him since "Daddy" and I have different ways of dealing with toddler situations. It finally got to the point where he had to start playing in the livingroom because of all the wood pieces on the floor in his room and me not having the energy to clean it when I got home. I just bought him a new bed 2 days ago. Its a 3-in-1 crib/toddler bed. We found that he's not ready for the "bed" part yet so its now back to a crib form. I came home today from work and hubby tells me, "Go look at the crib"... Low and behold its been chewed on to the point it cant be fixed. What do I do? I have many ways to wrk with baby that work when I am home. Daddy has different ways tho. Unfortunately I am the one working right now so I can't be Mommy 24/7! Plz help...

Herbal.Mommy

Asked by Herbal.Mommy at 2:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you stick something on the bars of the crib? Or wrap something around them? I don't know if they sell such things . . . but perhaps you could make something that wraps around the top, with a bunch of ties hanging down so you could tie it between the slots. HTH
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My niece ate my sister's wooden chairs to the point of severe damage. If he's teething, talk to your doctor about tylenol drops or infant/children's motrin especially at bed-time. Pre-molars come in usually 15-18 mos, then incisors 18-21 mos, then more 21-24 mos. These are more painful than the first baby teeth because they are larger. All of these came in 4 at a time with our child.

Also, is it recently that you've been working? He could be extremely stressed at giving up his primary caregiver. Can you put him to bed with a comfort object, blanket, pacifier, animal? I know pacifiers are a hard habit to break, and ours never took one, but he too chews everything and I've heard they help (get thru now, deal with later-later).
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• (con't) Try to tell Dad he needs to relax instead of being an "enforcer"-type to try to comfort him, bond with him, and let him know that you are coming home soon. Put a picture of yourself low to the ground where he can "see you" when you aren't home. (Maybe laminated & taped to cabinet.) I feel for you, and hope some of this helps. Dads certainly aren't moms, but then who would he be with if not for dad?
    doodlebopfan

• Maybe he is trying to chew himself out of it! IDK
    Does he spend alot of time in there when daddy is watching him?
    MeNMy2Kids

Answer by MeNMy2Kids at 9:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• depending on where he's chewing, there's a rubber bumper type thing on onstepahead.com that can be placed around the tops. it basically turns the top of the crib into a giant teether, because that's probably why he's chewing in the first place. i had the same issue with my daughter & made a cover with some soft blankets/sheets. i took a long throw blanket & ran it through the insides of the crib bars until it covered most of it & put another soft blanket over the top. as unsafe as it might sound, i tied them together with string as tight as i could at the top & bottom. she still chewed on it, but i didn't have to worry about the wood shards & splinters. hope this helps. =)
    mirandasunshine

Answer by mirandasunshine at 2:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2009