Is it normal for my 3 yr old daughter to put objects in her privates? I know kids touch themselves and it is normal, but I am afraid she could hurt herself? Any advice will help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yell at her for it tell her she can hurt herself and yeah some lil girls do that i think its just that they notice their private part so they touch it and put things there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• WTH??? Please don't yell at her!! She doesn't know any better! Most kids touch themselves. It's common for them to self explore. I would just simply take the objects away from her and remind her that they can hurt her, in a language that she can understand. The last thing you want to do is have her scared to death about her privates!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 3:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• its part of the self-discovery. my niece does this i think you should just talk to her with kid-friendly words and tell her that she can hurt her self if she uses objects. but she'll out grow it when she realizes its not going nowhere. hehe. didnt we all?
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 3:51 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Please dont yell at her! That will only teach her that her privates are bad. I tell my daughters that if they want to have "sacred time" It has to be private in their room. Usually this stops the behavior as they dont want to be alone in there!
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yell at her---are you serious!!!!! I would make sure that she hasn't had any sexual abuse committed against her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i would be afraid she would stick something in (like inside herself) , get it stuck and not tell and get infected... or worse, i would talk to her about where she got the idea (maybe she has seen something you don't know about.. just check) self exploration is normal but putting objects there could be harmful and i would frame that around the unclean part of it, like "you are going to get your pee pees on barbie, barbie doesn't want your pee pees on her! " kids do weird stuff, make sure she hasn't been molested, could easily be another kid, a kid at my son's sitter was telling him to put things "in his butt"
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• cont..........
    idk if the boy was molested or was just being weird but my son doesn't go to that sitter anymore, another kid could be influencing her to think it is a normal game, see where the behavior started if you can.i stuck a bee-bee up my nose when i was 3.. i remember doing it, i don't have any idea why i did other than i thought it might get my mom to stop cooking lunch and pay attention to me.dont blow it outta proportion but find the cause, discourage it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• DO NOT YELL AT HER. This is completely normal. DO NOT let the mother who said something about being sexually abused freak you out. Toddlers explore and should not be yelled at for it. As for sexual abuse there are a lot more signs for sexual abuse than she is sticking things in her pee-pee. I would discuss it with her and tell her not to stick things in there because she could get a boo-boo. I would ask her why she does it.
    mattandjosmom

Answer by mattandjosmom at 2:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• She's putting things INSIDE herself or like inside her underwear? I'd be careful, she could get an infection, just tell her calmy not to do it anymore cuz she can scratch/hurt herself.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I would try to talk to her about it, not yell. But, definitely pay attention. I work for a peds doc and we had one little girl who put things in her (purple pez dispenser, and other things) They had to do surgery to remove the objects twice. I don't know why they do it, sometimes I wonder if they haven't watched mom put a tampon in or something like that. Good luck.
    lovinmymason

Answer by lovinmymason at 5:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2009