getting to the hospital

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys plan on getting to the hospital? I have a situation where I'm the only driver in our family (my SO is legally blind, so him driving isn't exactly an option lol) and our extended family is pretty far away (we live in Vancouver, my family lives in Portland, his lives in Salmon Creek)... so, push comes to shove, I'm either going to have to a.) call a cab (unreliable) b.) call an ambulance (VERY expensive) or c.) drive myself to the hospital (which seems really risky to me).....

... so how do you plan on getting to the hospital?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 3:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My hubby drove me doing a 130mph down the highway right by 2 state troupers....lol and good thing he did cause after being there at the hospital for 5 min my son was born... I would say you should talk to your doctor and some hospitals have special services for woman who have no way to the hospital.....
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 3:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I had to drive myself once, i left when i was 5 minutes apart and I am in eastern oregon had to drive up to eastern washington out in the boonies with two kids lol.

We had friends who were able to meet up with me and help me, is there anyone you know even a good neighbor who could help you?
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• nope, not really... all of our friends either ride public transportation, or are too far away to really be able to help us. The only family I have in town is my grandfather, and he is really too shakey to drive. We're thinking about having a friend come stay with us, but we're having new carpet put in and won't be able to have guests until the job is completed. I'm currently 36 weeks.
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 3:36 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• From the options you listed, I would suggest being the boy that cried wolf. Basically, since it sounds like you don't want to rely on a cab or have to pay for an ambulance (though I'm wondering if maybe, given the circumstances, your insurance would pay for it...?), driving yourself is your only other option.

In which case, I would go to the hospital whenever you think you might be going into labor, as opposed to waiting until you know you're sure (and might be too far along, or might quickly get to far along, to drive yourself). If you go in and they tell you that you're in labor, but it's still early and they try to send you home (I've heard of that happening), then explain about your situation and tell them you need to stay, because you might not be able to safely get back later.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Also, I would consider having the friend come stay anyway, even if the carpet isn't re-done. I'm sure that anyone that was a good enough friend to come stay during this time would understand about the carpet situation. Even if it means that they have to move their stuff in, then move it out to the car or another room or something on the day the carpet gets put in, just like you and your dh will have to do (or would have to do if the carpet was going into your room).

Good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• im either having a friend take me or calling on ambulance those are the only choice i have because i dont have a car right now so hopeful the baby waits until we get one
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Maybe you can leave when you feel it coming on before it gets too painful and just wait at the hospital until they will admit you.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i'm having the baby at home... but if push comes to shove leave while contractions aren't too bad and walk around the hospital (don't check in) until they get longer and stronger. checking in too early gives the hospital more of an opportunity to rush your labor.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I've thought about that and if it happens while I'm at work, I'm going to have to drive myself. Luckily my work is literally right across the street from the hospital, so I should be fine. I'm hoping I"ll go into labor slowly on a non-work day so I'm not stuck at work driving myself! Labor should come on slowly, so you'll know when it gets bad enough that you need to be in or near the hospital. That should give you time to figure out how to get there. I think a cab is perfectly fine, many city dwellers have to do this. Just call them way in advance so you can be sure they're on time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Oh, my sister drove herself to the hospital with her 2nd and gave birth in 30 mins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2009