My chihuahua is peeing constantly isnside the house, how do I do it to potty train her?

We take her out 4 times a day, we put newspaper on the floor just incase she really needs to go but she wont do it on the newspaper:/ she'll do it on the regular floor and i'm really wasting alot of lysol wipes and paper towels cleaning it and moping it, is there any spray they sell that I can spray on the newspaper so she can know to pee and poop there instead?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pets

• I wouldn't encourage her to pee on the floor at all. I would put her on a leash, and attach it to your belt loop, that way you can keep her with you at all times. Watch her for any signs that she needs to potty, if she's sniffing around, circling, squatting. Then immediately take her outside. When she does potty outside, reward her with praise and a treat. Also, while she's going, give it a name, either say potty, or go pee. That way she will eventually understand the word and you will be able to tell her to go potty. If you watch her very closely and take her out very often (much more than four times a day, think more like every hour at first and then every two etc.) you should be able to potty train her. Good luck!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Try buying puppy pads. They have some kind of chemical that is supposed to get the dog to use the potty there.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• and at night make her stay in one area, block her off from the rest of the house in a smaller area... that helps too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• crate train her - start at the begining - andf taek her out more often
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• put her nose it in... scold her, ignore her after she does it, if you want it to stop u wil have to punish her for it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I agree with what tgrace said. The only thing I have to add is to regulate her intake of water. The small dogs have small bladders and can't hold for a long time. So when she drinks, take the water up and take her out and then put the water back down in an hr or so to offer her another drink and repeat!
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Good call doglovergranny, I didn't think about adding that one because we have a big old golden retriever. Don't scold her and put her nose in it, if she's not house broken she just won't understand why you're ignoring her or punishing her. Praise is a much more effective way to go.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2009