Ear infection questions

My 4 month old has his first ear infection and he was screaming through his Drs appointment, so I have some unanswered questions.
1. How does a baby get an ear infection?
2. Are antibiotics the only way to clear them up?
3. He is on tylenol, ear drops and antibiotics, is there anything else I can do for his pain?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 4:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be from drainage, if he's had a cold or allergies lately. To help ease the pain you can try Similisan (sp?) ear drops. It really helps to numb the ear, and help baby to sleep.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• it can be caused from many things... is the baby around alot of people who smoke? do u smoke near or in the house? smoke is one of the leading reasons for ear infections. and it could also be drainage as LolosMom said
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 4:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• One slight correction...it's from a LACK of drainage. Congestion from the nasal cavities gets in behind the ear drum and does NOT drain back out. It sits and settles, and bacteria grow creating the infection.

It's likely the tylenol and antibiotics will clear it up and control the pain. The antibiotics actually start working pretty quickly....usually with about three doses! If Tylenol doesn't seem to be doing it, you could try Motrin (but Motrin makes my kids sick, so watch it if she hasn't had it before).

It depends on the severity of the infection if antibiotics are given or not. If they are given (well,by our pediatrician that is) it's because they are really NEEDED. It's an infection, it can grow, it can get worse, and unchecked ear infections can rupture the ear drum.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I don't smoke and my baby has never been around any smoke!
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 6:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Personally, I think it's everyone's obsession with bathing their kids right before laying them down for the night, every night, that is causing the big number of ear infections..... Then they go to bed with a pool of undrained water just sitting there in their ear. If that's part of your routine, try bathing your child less often, and/or earlier in the day so the water has a chance to drain.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• There is a difference between "swimmers ear" (from water being in the ear canal) and an ear infection. If it was from water being in the ear (swimmers ear) the treatment would be different. We've dealt with both......

And cigarette smoke...it's not the cause of ear infections. It is thought to increase the number of "colds" a kid has (congestion created from breathing foreign particles) however, it's still the head congestion not draining from the ear that is the leading cause of infection
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Oh...and my information is all from out pediatrician. One of my sons had numerous ear infections when he was younger.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• With my daughter, she gets a cold and the fluids build up in her ears. Since baby's ear tubes are more flat rather than slanted as adutls are, they do not drain well. Bacteria grows in the fluid and next thing you know it's infected. Antibiotics are typically perscriped but not always necessary. Feel free to google why, but bascially there are 2 types of infections and it can be hard to tell the different maybe. I don't think there's too much else you can do. Don't feed laying down. Make sure baby is prooped up b/c the suck and the laying contribute to ear fluid and pain. allergies can contribute to ear infections by causing the tubes to be blocked. Allergies often include smoke, foods, milk, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• halfpint_ny -- Ear infections are caused by fluid on the INNER ear. So unless your child has a hole in their ear allowing outside water in, then bathing is not going to cause ear infections.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Different things can cause an ear infection and yes you need antibiotics is the only way to clear it up. If tylenol isn't working try motrin.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2009