• In the Spotlight:

8y/o sleeping w/me

I asked this a few days ago and didn't get many responses. 2 years ago we lived in a one room cabin w/ a loft. in the loft were 2 twin size beds (one for each son) and a queen size bed. Our daughter had to sleep with us and ever since we moved to our new place we can't get her back in her bed. She is now 8! Any suggestions? Already tried letting her decorate her room and bribery.

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 4:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just remember to have compassion for her. Originally, the choice was not hers and this is what she's grown used to. I co-slept (still do) with all 3 of my children. It started as babies, because I nursed them. I have one 5, and one 10 and they alternate. My oldest child chose to sleep in her own bed when she was 5. I know this will happen in time with my other 2. Honestly, it doesn't bother me. I love to snuggle with them.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 8:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• try sleeping in her room with her for a few nights that worked for me to get my nephew in his own bed.....
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 4:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• No, don't sleep in her room either. She is 8 and old enough to understand. Just put her in her room and let it be. If she cries so what. Don't give in. She will get over it and learn to be in here own room.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• HER not HERE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:36 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We had 3 kids who would wake in the night and crawl in our bed.
    I did not want to lock our door. However, after months and years of poor sleep, we decided to do it.
    We told our kids, and when they came knocking on my door, I got up and put them back to bed. Yes, I lost sleep for a few nights.
    BUT- After about a week (that's not long in the big scheme of life) they all stay in their beds, and we are all getting better sleep.
    And trust me, you can hear them just fine, even through a locked door (my fear, always).
    Buy a lock, and use it.
    Good luck!
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 7:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I would get an air mattress and set it up in her room and sleep in there with her and tell her that you will do that for so many days, lets say 2 weeks, to show her that it is safe and you are still close by. My son sleeps with me off and on and hes also 8. I dont make a huge deal about it since it isnt everyday or anything like that. I learned in my psych class cosleeping isnt as bad as many want you to think it is. But the best way to break it is to sit down and make an agreement with the child and stick to it. She is old enough to sit down and do that with.

Answer by gemgem at 8:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I have co-slept with all of mine and I will say they have all ended up in thier own beds..unless they are sick and then even the teens will sleep in my room :).

You can go one of two ways, take her right back to her room and make it very clear that she is to stay in it. Or one trick I like is to make a pallet on your floor for her to sleep, but don't make it comfortable, a pillow and a blanket, nothing else. In time it gets uncomfortable and they start to stay in thier own beds.

But remember this is her life habit, either way you go will require some patience, understanding and determination.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Get her involved with decorating her room and set the big date for her to move into it. Then, stick to it. You must explain it, expect it and reinforce it for her to take it seriously. Give her something special that she will love to have before bed - a book, a CD, a new set of pjs. This is long overdue. She can do it.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009