• In the Spotlight:

all he drinks is mt dew...

ok I never realized how much mt dew the hubby drinks until last night.. He drinks like 3 to 4 liters a day!! OMG talk about a ton of sugar.. he has gained some weight how can I get him to cut back.. all he use to drink was diet pepsi he gained weight w/ me when i was preg ok that was almost 4 yrs ago.. how can i tell him to cut back on the dews and drink yummy water ;). He is also native american I have heard they have a higher chance of getting kidney stones and pop will make it even more of a risk.. any advice on getting him to cut back?? NO BASHING if you want to bash go some where else.

pinkanfgrl

Asked by pinkanfgrl at 5:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Health

• a. Don't enable by bringing it home when you grocery shop.

b. Does he like any other caffeinated beverages? Coffee, tea, etc? Maybe if he sees you drink other things he will try them? It might not be just the sugar he's addicted to, but the caffeine. Maybe start with switching to diet mt. dew...
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i drink cup of coffee in the mor. and a frapp in afternoon other wise its sprite or water.. he goes to the gas station and gets a lit. at a time. he hates coffee unless it has a buck ton of sugar lol..
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 7:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my df was the same way. i LOVE water, besides a cup of coffee in the a.m. & an occasional diet sprite or fresca, it's all i drink. i finally got him to switch to propel & pepsi one, it's not the best, but it's better than all of that mt dew! ironically, it was after he stopped drinking it, that i got pregnant! like the pp said, maybe get diet mt dew? i know you said he goes & buys it, but if you bring home diet, maybe he won't go and get the regular stuff? he may like it since he used to drink diet soda. if you can get him to try propel, it's closer to water, maybe you can eventually switch him to plain old h20 (if he likes lemons, maybe try adding to the water). i hope you find the answer you are looking for. oh, btw, i've had kidney stones-several times-and had to have surgery to remove then. the pain from the stones & the surgery was REALLY BAD! luckily, they haven't been back since (fingers crossed)...best wishes!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 7:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my husband hates diet pop but his brother only drinks diet mt dew. so one night up there he tried it and said it tasted just like mt dew. so maybe you could try switching his reg mt dew with diet. i know its not cutting back on pop but it helps with the sugar.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My uncle used to only drink Dew. 6 kidney stones, and now diabetic later he sees the errors of his ways.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• thats a hard on. im a dew drinker and i swear its addicting. i will have 2-3 cans a day sometime 1 but i know thats bad and would lose some wight if i just cut that out. but its hard. dew to me is like smoking its a hard habbit to brake.. makes u wonder. all i can say is good luck..(:
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• TAKE IT FROM SOMEBODY THAT DRINKS ALOT OF SOFT DRINKS A DAY ABOUT 6 TO 8 A DAY ,IT IS BAD IN NUMEROUS WAYS I WANT TO STOP BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO DO IT SO ONE OF MY LATEST BILLS FOR THIS HABIT IS GOING TO BE ABOUT 5,000 DOLLARS FOR DENTAL ALSO MY BONES ARE VERY BRITTLE SO I AM HOPING NOW I WILL STOP FOR GOOD BECAUSE I COULD HAVE USED THAT MONEY TO PUT AWAY IN MY SAVINGS ACCOUNT.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Actually, the fact that he is Native American is what is probably sabotaging his willpower to stay off the surgar and/or carbs (and possibly also the caffeine). Studies have shown that the metabolism of Native Americans developed in a "feast or famine" world, so their bodies are genetically wired to pack on the pounds when the eating is good, but even though now they don't have to do that anymore, their bodies haven't yet made the adjustment. Your DH is at a higher risk for obesity, heart disease, diabetes, kidney failure, and a whole slew of other things - talk to him, seriously, and have him talk to his doctor, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Don't think changing to diet dew is the answer. The artificial sweetener can even be worse for him in that quantity. It makes me sick. I thought it was the caffeine but came to realize it was the artificial sweeteners. They can mimic even symptoms of MS. Teach him the health consequences of his addiction and then he has to make the choices. But switching to diet is NOT the answer especially given the fact it can lead to metabolic syndrome.....

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We are a family o sugar caffene enthusiasts too, My DH also drinks too much coke and Dew so I hide it from him. Alot of people don't like the taste of H2o some good alternatives are flavors, fizzy water, and tang but since caffene is addictive May I reccommend tapering off gradually. My husband has had kidney stones this was enough to make him watch his calcium intake and diet, they are as painful as childbirth but worse of course.
    GINSMUM123

Answer by GINSMUM123 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009