I need sleep!

I am so tired! My 14 month old was sleeping through the night until about two weeks ago when he started teething and got sick. Now he is back to waking up 1-2 times again, sometimes he goes right back to sleep, other times i have to give him a bottle and other times, like right now at 3am, he is wide awake. i cant help but be super cranky because I am so tired! Its hard to let him just cry because my husband needs his sleep for his early workday, and because of my daughters need to get her sleep for school. i am so useless the next day and its starting to take a toll on my mood and energy levels. we have tried making sure his full prior to bedtime but it doesnt seem to matter! He is in bed by 10 pm, and is always awake by 7 am. he takes a nap at 10 am and one at 3-4 pm, ive tried eliminating the last nap but he either gets super grouchy or tries falling asleep early in the evening and we are back at square one...

jamiehenry

Asked by jamiehenry at 6:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 14 month old takes two naps also, so no worries about that. And she wakes about 3 times a night on average, so I understand your frustration!

Do you sleep with him? I find this doesn't necessarily help my DD sleep better, but I do. I set up her crib as a cosleeper, so I still have the bed, and she still has hers, but she's right there.

Otherwise, it is probably a phase. He will start sleeping again soon, I promise :~) Do you get up with him when he wakes? Rocking him or nursing him or patting his butt?
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Try dropping the morning nap instead of the afternoon one...and make it a little earlier.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• That seems a little late to be up, I think. But then ours (at that age) were going to bed at 8pm, up between 6-7am and napping 1-3/3:30.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I have three boys so I've been there with no sleep...lol I think feedind him a bottle in the middle of the night might be your problem. If their bodies get trained to eat in the middle of the night they will continue to wake up for it. Try eliminating the morning nap, put him down for a nap around 1:30pm, don't let him sleep past 3:30, then feed him really well and give him a bottle around 7:30pm and put him to bed. If you need to when he wakes up in the middle of the night give him a bottle of water....it won't make him happy but a few hard nights with this routine and all will be better for you both. Good luck!
    ShawboysMom

Answer by ShawboysMom at 8:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My oldest didn't sleep through the night til he was almost 2. But as I had my second and third children I learned that they just need to be handled a little different. I would also cut out the morning nap and let him get uber tired in the early after noon and start putting him down then. The feeding him at night isn't such a great idea either. I also CIO because I feel that sometimes they need to. Example, my youngest is going through teething and cough/runny nose... he started waking up right around the time me and my SO go to bed... the first 2 nights I took him out of bed and brought him in with us, but then he realized it was like a game so the third night i let him whine it out and he has been fine since.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2009