What do you believe?

I have a had a very rough childhood and had no one to turn to. At a young age I found readig the bible was my only comfort and I realize that after going through so much pain I gave all my probles to God and have been blessed with everything. Now I sit and wonder why most of this world doesn't believe in God. Why wouldn't everyone want to be as happy as I am b/c I put my faith and trust in him?
If you don't believe in God, then what do you believe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• OK, Imagine you and I go clothes shopping together in the same store and come out with fabulous new (but different) clothes.  Does that make my new clothes better than yours?  No of course not!  It means that my new clothes suit me better and fit me better than yours do and vice versa.

The same goes for religion.  What works for you and makes you happy doesn't apply to everyone.  I'm an atheist which means that I don't believe in any gods.  I'm very happy living my life like this and I can't imagine living it any other way.

So you have to understand that while YOU are happy with your religion, it is NOT for everyone!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Well said, Beeky!!

I belong to Unity Church and they have this saying that's something like this: "We are all spokes on a wheel with God as the center." Basically, we are all on different paths with the same destination. I don't think the God of the Bible is entirely correct but that doesn't mean I don't believe in God. I just know God in a more personal way.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i was raised catholic but i don't believe in god, any god. i believe in energy, that our bodies contain it, we are all connected by it, and that when we die our energy lingers on until it doesn't. i am perfectly happy in my belief. i don't judge anyone for their religious belief. also, i don't think that anyone SHOULD feel the way i do. i think people should believe in whatever makes them happy/gives them comfort. what does bother me, is when people try to push/force their beliefs on others. i will talk to anyone about almost anything, as long as they don't try to force it.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• if you feel so strongly about your belief, why did you post anonymously? just wondering.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Well, I posted private b/c I have friends on here that I don't want to know about me having a bad childhood. I feel like that is just something I am not ready to reveal. I also didn't want to be judged for my thoughts or question. I just wondered what others thought about life if they don't believe in God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Good Answer Beeky!

As for my beliefs, I believe in a spiritual highness, not a father. I believe that the bible along with other religious books are fables in a way, more of a way of life through underlying meaning. I also believe that all the religious books all share the same spirituality if you look for it and that we are all interconnected. I believe if we open our minds and clear our thoughts we will be offered the opportunity daily to experience heaven.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 8:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Also, I don't think I am BETTER than anyone else.. I am just as normal or crazy as anyone. I understand the 1st posters example. And thank you for that.. I never thought of it taht way. I also appreciate kyriesmommy13's post. I guess I just wondered what someone else turns to when they have been so badly damaged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I turned to myself when things started going haywire. I spent many years as a christian and when I needed god the most he wasn't there for me. I came to realize I needed to take action and start doing for myself because there was no god to help me with what I was going thru. Like you claim in your question I have not been happier since. I am as happy as you are without god in my life. But Beeky put it best. it's what works for me.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I guess I just wondered what someone else turns to when they have been so badly damaged.

I am very sorry for what you have suffered through.  One of the few "truths" in life that I think we can all agree on is that everyone needs someone or something to provide us with a soft place to land in troubled times.  Some people turn to god, others turn to loved ones, and others turn to people who have experienced similar circumstances.  It is all about what is best for you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Go Beeky! As usual... answers someone can put in perspective!

Yes, OP, please don't assume that people who don't believe in God aren't just as happy as those that do. I understand that you were in a bad place and it is your believe in God that has helped bring you to a happier one ---- such is not the case with all of us, though.

I used to go to church. I used to consider myself Christian. I tried really hard to believe -- sought help in trying to believe, explored different denominations within Christianity, prayed a lot, asked God into my life --- you name it. It never happened. It never "clicked" for me.

As for your 2nd question, I follow the teachings of the Buddha. Always have, actually, I just didn't know it until recent years. It wasn't something I had to "believe in" or "seek out" or "learn about" --- it just IS who I am. It just IS who I always have been. It fits.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2009