why do you feed your baby formula? not trying to start drama...

i'm really NOT trying to start any drama. i am just curious to see why people choose to formula feed, if breastfeeding was tried first, and if it was family/friends/doctors that encouraged formula. would you or did you change anything with subsequent children?

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• i formula fed my kids i didnt like the fact they would be sucking on my boobs and i heard it hurt when you breast fed so it wasnt for me
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The twins got both. They needed it at first in the hospital, as they were in the NICU for quite awhile. Then, it became too difficult to keep up pumping at the office...not enough privacy, and very busy. Both are perfectly healthy and have good immune systems so if I am so fortunate to do it again, I'll breastfeed as long as feasible, with formula supplement, then all formula.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I want to ebf but i never made enough milk for my kids. i tried everything. so i had to supplement with formula.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 7:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Well I tried breast feeding my oldest child and I last about 4 months. I hated it and so did he. My milk came in so fast and came out so fast that every time he tried to nurse he would chock. After I stopped nursing I was much happier and so was he.

I think that as long as you are happy and your child is happy it should not matter what you choose. Everyone has to do what is best for them
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I tried but I wasn't able to produce enough milk. I was only getting like 2 oz and that was after I was feeding my son for 2 weeks and he was always crying -- he wasn't getting enough food. I tried pumping every 2 hours and having my son breast feed, and the supply was always low. I'm hoping my next child will be able to, but I tried everything I could and had to stop because I was getting really depressed and that was hurting my son more than what any formula would do. Kids who were FF are just as healthy as BF kids I think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I tried to breastfeed both times. It didn't work.
    arbutusdawn

Answer by arbutusdawn at 7:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I tried to breastfeed all three times. Nope. Not happening.

I had a HORRIBLE experience with my first...I didn't even bond with him for the first two weeks until we started formula.

I gave it a try with the next two, but the same problems were there....it was just better for all of us to do formula.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I started breast feeding, and due to his jaundice we had to do supplement feedings, then at 8 weeks I developed mastitis, and it was too painful to continue so we switched to formula!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Anon7:30...you're right. They are just as healthy and just as smart! That is such a stupid myth perpetuated by the media and the "breastfeeding nazi's".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• She wouldn't latch on so I started formula
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2009