2 1/2 yr old waking up in the early morning hours

So for the past week my DD has been waking up in the early morning between 3-5am. She starts off by crying and opening her door to come out. We have tried everything we can think of.. We cuddle, watch tv, lay in bed with her, let her lay in our bed, give her a cracker, ..ect.. we just don't know what to do. She is on a normal routine and all. As a baby she had acid reflux, but has since not shown any signs of it. I'm just not sure what is going on. I thought it was "night-terror", but she's fully awake. Her father does have asthma could this be a sign she too has it? or am I just going crazy. She's waking up her brother who is 9 months old.. Any advice

Lovingmomma2

Asked by Lovingmomma2 at 8:03 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Define "normal routine".

Mine the same age are in bed about 8pm, up between 6 and7, nap 12:30-2:30.

Other than that...just put her back in bed. "It's not time to get up" and leave the room. It might be a rough few nights at first....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Each parent has their own routine with their children mine is the same. She gets up at 9am, has breakfast, plays watches her Dora and Diego shows. At 1pm she has lunch, plays a little then nap at 2pm. She gets up 2 hrs later. Plays and then bed at 10pm. Every other night she gets her bath. This is our normal routine.
    Lovingmomma2

Answer by Lovingmomma2 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sounds like my daughter. She's almost 2 and gets up between 4 and 7. Her doc said some kids just like to get up early. I put her to bed around 8. I've even tried to keep her up later and it doesn't matter she always gets early.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Maybe dont watch TV, snuggle, feed her, etc. Maybe she is coming to expect that now, so it is too hard to go back to bed.

Just give her a kiss, maybe keep a sippy cup of wter by her bed and tell her that if she wakes up, she can take a sip of water and then just go back to sleep.

Ask her if she is afraid of anything. Maybe it is too dark/light/hot/cold, etc. Since she is 2.5 years old, she will hopefully be able to communicate what she wants from you. If it is that she just wants mom and dad, tell her that you will be there in the morning but right now it is important to sleep.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:10 AM on Jan. 23, 2009