Stay at home moms: How much time do you really spend with your child during the day?

I stay at home and I feel like I still never get alot of time with my daughter. I am always busy trying to keep the house clean and clothes washed! I was just wondering if it was just me that felt this way!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• i spend almost all of my time with her. if i need to vacuum, i put her in my moby wrap, and she "helps" vacuum, too. i put her down to wash dishes and cook, but she is in a play area, where i can see her, right next to the kitchen. we spend most of the day together. when she naps, i lay down with her-she's breastfed and likes to eat lying down. i usually stay with her, unless i really HAVE to do something. maybe invest in some sort of carrier, sling, or wrap, then you two can do stuff together.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My son is now 2. He has a playroom where he plays for a little while but he usually wants me to see what he is doing so he brings stuff into the living room. He helps me fold clothes and put them away. He follows me everywhere in the house as soon as I think about moving. LOL. So I spend most of the day with him except for his nap time and then when my hubby gets home all he wants to do is play with daddy.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I agree with the previous post. If she is young enough, get a wrap. If she is older, get her involved in your chores. Get her a toy vacuum to use while you vacuum. Give her plastic dishes to play with while you do laundry. Have her help you put the clothes in the washer and dryer. Also, let some things slide. Plan to do a few chores in the morning, a few in the afternoon and a few in the evening, and spend time with her the rest of the day. Check out FlyLady.net to see how to get cleaning done quickly.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• All day. I send most of my time talking to my kids and playing with them.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Its not so much "what you do" as it is that " you are there for them"... At least thats how I feel....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I have never spent every waking minute with my kids, nor did I have the want to do that. I'm here when they need me. If they are happy playing alone or with each other or watching TV or whatever then I'm happy and I do other things (clean, play on the computer, watch TV, read, whatever). They come to me when they need attention.
    Right now my older 3 kids are at school and my almost 3yo is watching TV. I'm happy that my kids don't need my constant attention or supervision.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my DD is 7mo & she plays in her exosaucer & on the floor by herself when shes not napping. but im always there when she crys...not whines haha. i talk to her while im cleaning, but for the most part she likes to play by herself. when im in the kitchen i put her in her highchair w/ some toys & she watches. we could never do wraps b/c she cant be confined, & she HATES cuddling unless shes sick or really tired. im very lucky that she likes to be left alone, i can get things done!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I homeschool my kids and am with them pretty much 24/7. I obviously have things I need to get done, but I make sure that my chores and things don't make me inaccessible to my kids. I do what I need to do, but if they want to talk or need help while I'm doing something else, I stop what I'm doing so that I can listen or help. Sure, there are lots of days that I don't get as much done as I'd like, but I just remind myself that I stayed home for my kids, not for my house. As long as we have clean clothes, food to eat and the kitchen and bathrooms are clean I don't sweat the rest too much. People are always more important than things.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• ^^ my feelings exactly-about the clean clothes, kitchen & bathroom, and food to eat!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i work 2 days a week. i consider my self a sahm. and every min i get. ill let the house get messy and the laundry go undone if i go to.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009