what do you think of the name Imoen Ada?

my hubby loves the name imoen (pronounced em-O-in). i however am not so crazy about it. i'm trying to compromise but i'd like to know what other moms think about it, since it's not a name i've ever heard before. other names considered are rosemary, maelene, valerie, laurel, feena (FEE-nuh), & avalon.

mirandasunshine

Asked by mirandasunshine at 9:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't like it and if you have to show US how to pronounce how do you think it is going to be for the child? Just a thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• No it makes me want to sing the alphabet song....minus a few letters. I agree with the PP, when I looked at it I had NO clue how to pronounce it. Why would you want to do that to your child? I'm all for unique but sometimes people take it too far and I think that's the case here.

I like Laurel, Rosemary, and Valerie.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i don't think pronunciation is a big issue with the name - i just didn't want people to give an opinion about something they weren't sure about... i don't think it's a case of "too unique" either. it's actually from a PC game, so it's been used before & we're not that original. i don't want my daughters to have plain jane names, to be honest. i think something different adds a bit of character to someone's personality & most people i've seen grown up with a unique name may have hated it when they were younger, but wouldnt' change it for anything now. they love it! my first daughter's name is lily guinevere. she's almost 3 & has no qualms with pronouncing her middle name. it's a bit different, but i think it's beautiful.
    mirandasunshine

Answer by mirandasunshine at 9:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I agree with the previous posts, when I first saw the name I was pronouncing it completely wrong. She'll go through that her whole life. I think Rosemary is a beautiful name. I've never heard of Feena but I think that's precious (and easy to say:))
    gretch81

Answer by gretch81 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I answered before I saw your post. You're right about having unique or different names. I'm Gretchen and when I was a kid I didn't knw ANYONE else named Gretchen but my parents taught me to appreciate that and not resent it or wish for a more "normal" name. I guess other than pronunciation I'm not personally crazy about Imoen either, but you have a good list of possibilities.
    gretch81

Answer by gretch81 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If you don't like it, then don't name her that.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Because Guinevere is a more normal name that most people have seen & know how to pronounce you cant compare it to the name you mention. that name is something a video game creator made up for a character. I had no clue how to pronounce it & if you & the husband dont think that is going to be a problem you might want to get a few more opinions on that. Not everyone in the world plays PC or video games so dont assume everyone has heard it just because you guys have. When I saw it I was wondering if it was 'I-moe-ann". My hubby came up with some whoppers from video games & comic books too. But in the end we went with something not so common yet names people had actually seen before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It's hard to pronounce and not because it's unusual and unheard of but because it has so many vowels!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sorry, but I don't like it. It sort of sounds like someone with a lisp is trying to say a word they can't quite pronounce. I like Feena, Rosemary and Maelene (pronounced, Ma-lane?).
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• besides it being begged to be mispronounced, I just don't like the name.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2009