getting a teen to listen....

My lil sister is 15 and she lives with my bf, our two boy and i. i'm 19 and he's 24. we don't wanna be the bad guys but we can't act like her bff. which is hard since she is one of my bff. everytime we try to tell her something, like no ur bf is not staying the night or no your not go to a party,she throws a fit and gets mouthy. what do i do?

mamaof2boys148

Asked by mamaof2boys148 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• take her and do something just the two if you and explain how much you care about her and want the best for her, and the explain the "rules" and come to an agreement together. if she wants her bf to stay the night, then you say he can stay till 7 or 8 p.m. and she says till morning you say not at all...or if he stays then the bedroom door comes off the hinges!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• They say that is the million dollar question. If we knew the answer we'd be rich. Just stick to what you say. Don't give in. That is biggest mistake I've made as a parent.
    Anonymous

• You are 19 and have 2 children so I am sure that has not been easy ( i had 1 at 19) also your 15 year old sister living with you seems like we can assume there were family problems so use examples to talk to her and tell her that while it seems to her like you are just telling her no to be a super b*thc you are really looking out for her best interest. All 15 year olds throw fits and get mouthy when they are told no so if you figure out how to make her listen PLEASE let the rest of us know!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009