Can I just ignore this person forever???

I have recently made a friend because I have known her husband forever. They are having marital problems and problems with their kids. I spend all day long telling her the same thing over and over. I got duped into watching their 4 kids for a while, but their kids where very violent (one of them punched my ten month old baby for daring to stand up in front of the tv). Now the mom is gone for some training and isn't allowed to call for a while. I am about to move because my husband is military. I'm so tired of a one sided friendship, I never get to release any of my burdens because I always have to play therapist to her. Would I be awful if I changed my phone number early, blocked her from contacting me online, and just never contacted her again? This has caused me a lot of stress but I don't feel like it is a true friendship. I feel really taken advantage of...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Why not just tell her how you feel? What's the worst that could happen? She gets mad and never talks to you again? That's your plan anyway. You may as well tell her why you are upset. It sounds like you have legitimate gripes.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Have you mentioned any of this to her? How is she supposed to know how you feel if you're only internally resentful toward her? I'd say at least talk with her. You can be the bigger person and give her an explanation rather than cutting off all communication. JMO.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 9:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Doesn't sound like a mutually beneficial friendship so I would end it, but in an adult manner. It may sound easier to just cut her out, but it may benefit her if you tell her how you feel. It may help her see herself and children in a different light. And like pp said, worst case, she gets mad and never talks with you again.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i would cut her off i wouldnt waste my time with a someone who claims to be my friend but then acts like they are not
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Cut her off. Take it from experience, bad friends are like a sickness. You feel terrible with it. Shake her off!!
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 10:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Hey OP here...As correct as you all are that I should tell her I just don't think I can, I will try to summon the courage to, but I have given hints before but she just doesn't seem to get them. I know it is awful and the easy way out for me, but I have so much stress and I really don't want to deal with the guilt trip I know this person will lay on me. Ugh! You guys are right,let's just hope I do the right thing... I'm a big wienie, that is why I am posting this anonymously lol!
    Anonymous