• In the Spotlight:

Should a mom lose custody for teaching her 3 yr old to smoke?

LONDON (Jan. 22) - A British woman has pleaded guilty to child cruelty for allowing her 3-year-old to smoke in front of her.

Prosecutor Jonathan Rees said video taken by a mobile phone showed the small child popping a cigarette into his mouth, lighting it with a lighter and taking a drag.

Rees told a court in the Welsh town of Merthyr Tydfil that the boy's mother, 24-year-old Kelly Marie Pocock, was sitting next to him and talking on the phone at the time.

The video was shot by Pocock's friend, Natasha Dudley, who showed the footage to social workers.

"It doesn't cause him any discomfort," Rees said, according to the British Broadcasting Corp. "It is clear that the boy, at the age of three, knows what to do with a lighter and cigarette."

Pocock was given a 40-week suspended sentence.

According to the Daily Mail, the judge told Pocock he did not

miriamz

Asked by miriamz at 10:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can't see how anyone would think that would be acceptable. Yes she deserves to lose her child. It's probably not the first time either....just the first time someone had the guts to film it.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• uh??? yes!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i would never teach my kids how to smoke she should go to jail for it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• yes!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• OMG! this woman is crazy! how terrible!
    Anonymous

• people like that shouldnt be allowed to have kids.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• (cont.) According to the Daily Mail, the judge told Pocock he did not want to separate the single mom from her son and two other small children. He also took into account that she had completed a parenting class.

"This offense would normally cross the custody threshold but I do not want to cause your children any further emotional harm by separating them from you," he said.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It doesn't mean she TAUGHT him to smoke.. I don't agree with allowing him to do it, but it doesn't mean she "taught" him to do it. MY daughter is 2 and knows how to do things that I have never sat down and taught her to do (like use the dvd player).. she learns by seeing us do it.

I don't know how she justifies the behavior but losing custody, maybe not, if she can agree to not allow him to smoke and be monitored and go to parenting classes, or classes to teach the negative effects of smoking.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Someone should shove those cigs up here arse! Parents these days never cease to amaze me.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2009