How can I find myself?

I am 32 year old stay at home mom trying to find myself. I plan on going back to work in September part time. My son will be starting pre-K, so I will have to find a job working around that schedule. My problem is I don't know what to look for. The town I live in is losing everything. We just found out that our Goody's and Claire's are closing. My other problem is I don't know what I like to do. I have for years just done what I needed to provide for the family until my last child. I have done food service, factory, clerical, cashier, ect. None of which is me......I don't think. I want to prepare myself for something, so it makes my job hunting easier. I do like office work best of those things I have done. I'm still not sure that it is me. I know that none of you know me, but how do I find myself.?I can't really explain how I feel, but maybe some of you understand.

aerocrombiester

Asked by aerocrombiester at 10:36 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• I completely understand. I've been in the work force for 25 years and I'm still trying to find myself. I'm older than you and believe me, if you can, please go to school and get a degree or certificate. I regret that I never furthered my education. I've been an admin. asst. all my life and am rather stuck. Funds aren't there for school for me, so here I am.... HO HUM! Good luck to ya!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Anyhow, the answer I guess is just to sit down and really think of what interests you have. Make sure it's something you really enjoy doing - don't just settle or you'll regret it down the road.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I can relate as well, I'm 36, SAHM, have been for the past 12 years.... My youngest will be starting school in the fall and I want to do something as well.... I just figured I would go up to the school and get something there. I have babysat off and on but that drives me crazy, I don't like a messy house and I have a set routine so other peoples kids make that impossible...
    In June I go with my hubby and we are gone from home for the whole month so I have to do something with school if I want to be with him in the summer.... Im stuck as well. I don't want to go back to school and hubby wants me available to him when he's home, which is every 4 weeks... So I'm in the same boat. I'm sorry I didn't help you did I? lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sweet Heart you are not the only one. It's completely normal. You will feel this way as your child/children gets older and especially when they go out on their own. It's okay to look and be looking for a while. Don't make any rash decisions.. Just think for a while about what you want to do when your life is giving your time for yourself again. A class or two might be just what you need. Are you interested in Beauty School? I see alot of moms doing this because it gives them so much flexibility when they graduate. Also Massage School is a new "popular" thing to look into. Here it is an 8 month program.. You could be graduated when he is out of school. Lots of luck and do your research first.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I guess I "get it". I'm in my early 40's and love my life yet often wonder where to devote my time next. Even after all these years, I know more of what I don't want to do than what I do. Well, that's not entirely true, I do know what I want to do; I just haven't figured out a way to get paid for it!

What are your interests? Hobbies? What causes are you passionate about? These are the kinds of questions you need to ask your self so that you'll know what direction to head off to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Have you ever considered starting your own business? When I was going through the same thing I really tried to figure out what would make me happy and I came to the conclusion that I wanted a business of my own. I tried a couple of businesses until I found AmeriPlan. I love this company. Check out my WAH group here on CafeMom. You can talk to other Moms about there opportunities and maybe something with spark your interest.

Join my WAH grup here on Cafe Mom. http://www.cafemom.com/group/97052

GoGreenMom68

Answer by GoGreenMom68 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I TOTALLY GET IT.. I could have written your post. You really just have to start doing all kinds of things to figure it out. It sounds like from you liking office work that you might like medical transcription which doesn't take much time in school and is versatile. You can go to work for a doctor, hospital, or work from home. I can give you a referral to the school that I went to which is one of the top schools to graduate from respected by employers. I can actually get you a discount right now $250 off tuition if you enroll this month so good timing. Let me know if I can help.
    Mimi2mommy

Answer by Mimi2mommy at 1:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2009