My daughter is 2,and she keeps a diaper rash.

My daughter is 2 and she keeps a diaper rash about 60% of the time.We have been to the doctor countless times,we've been on steroids for it and tried just about every over the counter diaper rash creams and ointments,and some prescriptions.It is so bad it has gotten to the point to where I have to pry her legs open to clean her when changing her diaper.I feel so bad,because I feel like I've done everthing I can do.If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tryed corn starch?? it works on rashes
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I agree. we used corn strach on my sons rash and in 3 or 4 days it was gone.
    Threej

Answer by Threej at 11:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I have used different methods for each of my kids.... with my oldest his but needed vaseline to clear up the rashes, my second son I don't really remember him having any issues so I probably just used whatever I had on hand at the time, but my youngest had the most diaper issues. When he had bad rashes I used liquid maalox as my first layer.... this helps neutralize the acid and take the sting away from the poop. then I used a thick layer of Desitin Original (it is the purple one) it is thick, messy, and doesn't smell the best but it sure works really good. Oh yea, if wiping her with wipes hurts too much use a wash cloth wet with warm water, it will not hurt her while ou are trying to wipe. make sure her diaper area is completely dry before applying any creams or putting the diaper back on too.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• add corn starch every time you change her. it will keep her dry and help cure and prevent it.
    it in the baking aisle in your supermarket.
    HOUVIG

Answer by HOUVIG at 12:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• try different diapers. my son had the same problem until i changed diapers brands.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I would suggest lotromin. It works for my dd. It only takes about a day to work and she gets rashes alot.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 1:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• BALMEX DAILY SKIN PROTECTANT is the answer my dd had the worst rash ever and it cleared in 1 day practically.. use it and let me know.. I know u will love it...I do.. I swear by it...
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i had that problem one time and never again after this, i called a nurse hot line and she told me to put 2oz of baking soda in a warm bath a set baby in it for 20 mins, open the vagina a little and push water softly in. this washes any pee or poop out of the rash. do that for 2 days, if that doesn't help, instead of using baby wipes wash baby in the kitchen sink. and use a lot of butt paste or a rash ointment called capent. if this helps and i really hope you try it, then from the time the rash clears till she doesn't use diapers anymore, wash her in the sink when she poops. i always wash my daughter in the sink when she poops from the time she was born till now (14 months) and shes rashed one bad time in her life. i hope this helps you.
    Tmehiar

Answer by Tmehiar at 2:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Whatever you do, do not use baby wipes on her. Store bought baby wipes have alcohol in them and will burn and make the rash worse.

Use a medicated cream on the affected area to help heal the rash, and apply cornstarch. The cornstarch will keep the wetness off of her body. Always keep her changed. Check her frequently and don't let her sit around in a wet or soiled diaper.

Also try giving her a warm bath each night and allow the diapered area to air out and dry naturally before putting a new diaper on her.

The other mom's also have good advice regarding changing diaper brands, the cornstarch bath, and some of the recommended creams.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My dd did that. She had a sensitive tooshie. I could only use one brand of diapers. She was allergic to the diapers and that would start an automatic yeast infection in her. In two days she could go from clear but to super blistered and opened butt. Poor thing. I carried around a tube of lotrimin cream and diaper rash medicine constantly b/c I never knew when she would break out. Don't use wipes, just use a paper towel that has some warm not hot water on it. If that doesn't help I'd call the dr. If you have cornstarch, just sprinkle a little of that in her diaper every time you change her.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 12:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2009