How long does the baby blues last for??

I have been soooooooooooo depressed latly and its distroying my whole family. I feel so lost and like im a horrible mother. I get frustrated easily and I cry alll the time!! I am not sure what to do anymore and I dunno how to make it go away! What do I do??

Mrs_williams90

Asked by Mrs_williams90 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take a day off. Go to a spa, eat a box of chocolate, lay out in the sun, or whatever else you love to do. The best thing for the baby blues is to get out for a little while and relax.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• talk to your OB and see a counselor. It's normal to have the baby blues for a while post partum, but you could have PPD instead of just the regular baby blues. For me I took St. John's wart with my baby blues, because it wasn't too serious, and it helped enhance my mood. But if you are taking any medications you'll need to ask if it's safe to take with them. :) I found it helped a lot though. Just talk to someone.. are you nursing?
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:10 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• NO I am not nursing I tried but I couldn't but I will def call my doctor on monday!
    Mrs_williams90

Answer by Mrs_williams90 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• oh, make sure you are eating healthy and well balanced. Some forms of depression can be linked to a vitamin b deficiency. Get out and walk too, exercise is great to combat baby blues. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Since you aren't nursing you can also look into SAM-E.. I have heard marvelous things about it...
    celticreverie

• ok...I definatly will as soon as I can
    Mrs_williams90

Answer by Mrs_williams90 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yeah, I would call the doctor:)

I had the baby blues with my second child and it only lasted a few days. I would cry over everything, which really surprised me because that isn't my nature. I understood what it was so I wasn't concerned about it, but yours sounds a little more serious.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My horrible baby blues lasted for the first week and a half. After that, it got a little better.

Like they said above...call your doctor. There's no need for you to suffer. The first step is admitting that something's wrong, it's all downhill from here =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:20 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Go to counseling if it gets too bad. Otherwise, take time for yourself. Go hang out with girlfriends, do your hair and nails, go out to eat with DH.

I got baby blues horribly. I'm 8 months PP and still get it but its ten times better now than it was in the beginning.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Baby blues only lasts a few weeks at most. PPD can last for years and can start anytime in the first year or two.
    Please, please, please... CALL YOUR DOCTOR NOW. Do not wait until Monday. Call today. I've been there and you and your baby both deserve a happier you. Call today!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2009