Christians: Do you care more about what people think or what God thinks?

First let me say that I'm just curious about this and your opinions. I overheard a conversation (a very loud conversation) in a store the other day and it got me thinking).

I overheard someone talking about being saved and the like, and how once you're saved you can't hang out with non-Christians, you can't go to certain places, etc. While I understand that if you had a problem before (say you were an alcoholic, so you should probably avoid bars in the future), but Jesus didn't "hang out" with the saved exclusively, correct?

This person was talking about how if you do those things (hang out with certain people and the like), other Christians will question your beliefs and salvation, and made it sound like th opinions of other Christians is what makes you a Christian. But, as a Christian, doesn't the opinion of God matter more to you than that of other people?

Again, I can understand avoiding situations that might cause you to slip back into old, bad habits (drug use, alcoholism, etc.), but do you think that you should only ever be around other Christians and your only options for places to go should be the grocery store, church, etc.?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:49 PM on Mar. 30, 2012 in Religious Debate

• This is an excellent question because often times it seems like Christians care more about their self-image and how they portray themselves towards other people rather than what God thinks. We all know God sees the real us. Whether we try to hide it or not. So I really think it's a moot point to try and be perfect for God when he knows we are flawed.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2012

• I care more about what God thinks. Only God can see into one's heart, man only looks on the outside.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 3:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2012

• I care about what God thinks.
    The only reason I would care waht someone thinks is if I am leading them away from God but my actions.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2012

• I think there is a huge difference between something being wrong and something being not Christian, if you get what I mean. Just because someone isn't Christian doesn't mean they're bad people or a bad influence, and I can disagree with people on things like, say, pornography, and still treat them with dignity and respect, and not alienate them just because I don't agree with every choice they may make. It's my place to treat everyone with love and consideration, to be a light of goodness and graciousness in this world, as Jesus instructed. It's not my place to judge or condemn anyone or group them into "in" or "out" groups. There is a huge difference between disassociating with someone who consistently makes bad choices and drags you into it, but to ostracize people for not being Christian, or not doing things the same way I do, that just seems contradictory to what we're told we're meant to do in this world.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 30, 2012

• I care more about what God thinks.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2012

• when it comes to my spiritual walk, what i think God thinks is more important than what others think.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2012

• I believe in doing what's right more than anything else, which would, IMO, be what God wants. I don't believe that "what's right" includes alienating anyone who doesn't follow the same beliefs I do - Jesus himself ate and gathered with "sinners" and those outside of the religious elite, if you get what I mean. I believe "what is right" is all about being loving and compassionate and gracious and understanding the potential and dignity of every being, and treating others as less than or different from myself just because they follow a different set of beliefs seems to counter the calling of love that Jesus gave us.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 30, 2012

• and how once you're saved you can't hang out with non-Christians
    ******
    This is completely wrong. The person you overheard didn't have their head on straight. :)

There is a reason people like my family and friends hang out in the known drug parks and other undesirable places and not just with other Christians... we are supposed to be helping to make the world a better place and if the presence of my DH, DD, and I at a drug park can make that part safer for the neighborhood children, then that is where we need to be. One of the Christian women I admire most regularly makes herself available to a local bar to be a designated driver for anyone who happens to need one. Not exactly limiting herself to being around the straight and narrow folks.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 3:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2012

• God.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 7:57 PM on Mar. 30, 2012

• it sounds like you overheard someone who is steeped in legalism and works..too afraid someone might 'talk' about them, so they avoid any and all situations this might happen. sad, really..because you are correct, JC didn't hang out with only his followers. actually, his followers weren't 'followers' until he approached them.
    Matthew 9:11-13 NIV
    '' When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
    On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
    pretty simple.
    IMO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2012