• In the Spotlight:

well my daughter is 19 months and she thinks she 15 she throws fits all the time. what should i do

my daughter is 19 months old and she act like she 15

mamma258208

Asked by mamma258208 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, it doesn't sound like she acts like a teenager - it sounds like she acts like a toddler. Though sometimes teenagers act like toddlers too :)

There are a couple of things to do with toddler tantrums...

First, try to head them off. If you know she will want a cookie and throw a fit when you say no, put the cookies somewhere she can't see them.

Second, when she throws a fit, ignore her. Stay near by so you can make sure she doesn't hurt herself but don't talk to her or tell her to stop. Just step around her as you go about your business.

Third, once the tantrum is done - completely done! - sit her in your lap and talk to her. Tell her "I know you were angry that I wouldn't let you have a cookie. I can't let you have cookies all the time. If you want a snack, you can have a cracker." This lets her know that you understand and helps her learn words to explain her feelings better. It lets you acknowlege she was upset while
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• What everyone tends to forget is, how did your child communicate with you as a baby? They cried. Tantrums are an upgrade from crying in their eyes. It also turns into a manipulation tool for toddlers, they know you dont want to hear it so your going to do/get them want they want and ASAP! Key is, you ignore it and tell them "Use your words, I dont understand you. You need to tell me". If they keep going, you keep ignoring. Let them calm down and try to talk to you. Send the message that throwing a fit is no way to get what they want or to get it any faster. Toddlers aren't babies anymore they need to try to use their words and learn crying isnt the only way to communicate.
    MsPeaches2210

Answer by MsPeaches2210 at 3:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• she is headed for the terrible twos. threes arent any better, in fact, worse. Just be consistent. If she throws a fit, make sure she knows she isnt allowed to do that around you and take her to her room. Dont shut the door, just tell her that you dont like her acting that way, and when she is done throwing her fit, then she can come out of her room. Use phrases that she can understand, like "mommy does not want you to act naughty like that!" and "if you are going to act like that, you do it in here". You can also use, "come out when you are done yelling." At this age, she should be able to recognize these kinds of phrases, but every kid is different. These things work for my daughter, but may not for yours. Trial and error, honey....
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 4:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2008